Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

dallas, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Wanted to say hello
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Sean

Somehow in 23 cars I missed owing a British car but it probably was intentional.

You have my sympathy

Regards

John Harley

2 French
5 Swedish
5 German
1 Japanese
9 American

( I think...)

Posted on: 2010/4/23 19:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Somehow in 23 cars I missed owing a British car but it probably was intentional.

At one time Kanter had a bumper sticker he would send out.

"All parts falling off this car are of the finest British manufacture"

Posted on: 2010/4/23 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
HH

" If Lucas made nuclear warheads there would be no need for disarmament treaties"

JH

Posted on: 2010/4/23 20:06
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

MXEditor
See User information
And so right he was...when I was there I had a 400HP Mitsubishi GTO twin turbo, AWD, chipped, etc. and a Audi Sportline Turbo wagon to haul my bike on!

No British cars at all.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 20:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kind of makes you wonder how RR and Jaguar and a few others managed to keep going for so long. Lucas electrics alone should have done them in. There must be something to that saying the British are made of sterner stuff. Would have to be to put up with all the breakdowns and keep going back for more.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 20:18
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

MXEditor
See User information
RR is a quality ride, they just use too much "petrol" to be worth running them. As well as the road tax for displacement. The new Jags are really nice too.

They have a stiff upper lip over there. They say "just get on with it"...a very proud tough people the Brits. And patient...you have to be, as you wait for roadside assist a lot!

Austin, MG, Triumph, Rover, etc...all gone.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 20:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe me, not knocking RR or Jaguar. Lovely cars. Both --but particularly RR-- awfully complex in the electrics and maybe some of the reason the reputation existed. You didn't hear of that many issues though compared to Jaguar but they were there according to a friend who used to be service manager at the local RR agency or outlet. Have a lot of service articles he gave me detailing some of the more interesting features.

Will be interesting to see the future changes. BMW has already been manufacturing for awhile on a few models and incorporating some of the 7 series features in the new cars--although the styling with the tiny headlights and huge grill does take a bit of getting used to. Ford revamped Jaguar to the point of pretty good and now will be waiting to see what the company out of India will do.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

MG, Alvis etc gone, but Morgan soldiers on with wait lists on their order books. There are advantages to family businesses

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/4/23 21:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved