Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 198

todd landis, Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: sourcing new starter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since the factory generator was designed and capable of handling the extra load of the factory AC, seems like a simplier route would have been to make the needed polarity changes and repolarize the generator. Though they occasionally require service like new brushes, my own experience is that generators usually outlast alternators.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 10:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
There were so few 55-56 with factory air, I doubt that non-factory air models were equipped with generators big enough to handle headlights and A/C at idle or near idle. It's too late now, for me, anyway.

As I recall, Vintage Air may have recommended a high output alternator, but my memory is fuzzy.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 20:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Unless you need some serious amperage, or a positive ground alternator, there is no need to buy an alternator from specialty vendor.

A standard Delco 10-SI alternator from any GM product late 60s and above should be able to handle the idle load without any problems. I believe that some of them were up to 70 amps, and can be found at any parts store. They are internally regulated, and can easily be hooked up to work the dash "GEN" light.

I believe the one in my Clipper is rated at 63amps, and cost about $55 with no core. I am using one because I plan on putting in aftermarket 12v A/C.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 20:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Right! My alternator came from a generator/alternator rebuilder and is a one wire model. Wish I could remember if it was more than $55, but I'm sure it was. Live and learn.

Posted on: 2010/5/15 12:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Hi,

Does anyone happen to know the AWG size and current rating of the charging system wiring from generator to regulator and regulator to starter through the ammeter of a 55 400, I'm looking at fitting a 55 amp alternator and debating whether to trust the original wiring or run new heavier gauge direct to the starter post.

Regards,

Dave.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't find a published spec like they had in earlier years but it looks small--am guessing 14ga. That would fit as that ga maxes at 32 amps and generator is rated for 30. At any rate, wouldn't try 55. Here is a chart of ga and capacity. If you're a better mathematician than I, you can rearrange the formulas so you could measure the wire and derive the AWG that is used.http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Posted on: 2010/5/17 22:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved