Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

29tons, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Theft proof #?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
My car has pressed into the firewall: <0289II> Is this a theft proof #? Is there any info to be derived from it? Doesn't match the # on the Ser No plate.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 7:51
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: Theft proof #?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm assuming it's a V8 Packard, 55 or 56. I think if you look more closely the first character is a "D", not an "0". It's a sequential # as the bodies were produced (or perhaps more accurately as the cowl panels were produced) and has no correlation to the vehicle number, at least as we know so far except for original factory and dealer records which recorded it along with other pertinent information including the VN, paint, trim, etc. If you have further interest you might want to read my recent article in the The Packard Cormorant on that subject.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Yes, '56 Clipper Deluxe. The "0" seemed somewhat less crisp and distinct than the other numbers, so may well be a "D". Is there any significance to the letters "II" as in a Roman 2, after the numbers? I'd assume it'd have been "11" not "II" if meant to be numbers... these clearly appear to be an "I".

Don't have any recent Cormorants, I haven't belonged to PAC since the 90s, I think Dick Langworth was Editor.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The subject of the 'I' for '1' in the Packard font has come up several times. Here's a link to a previous thread:
Packard Font

Posted on: 2010/5/8 10:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's something a bit more authoritative on the font used for the thief-proof numbers clearly showing the form of the digit "1".

Attach file:

jpg  (88.78 KB)
177_4be58d28846db.jpg 929X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/5/8 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
RAnderson,

The article was indeed a nicely written piece in the The Packard Cormorant's Spring 2010 issue. And until this very moment I hadn't made the connection between Owen and the article's author.

Those body numbers are interesting and it still intrigues me that my 1955 (5587) 400's body number seems to date to 1936 solely based on its chronological order.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 11:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kevin, glad you found the article interesting, a Part II will be coming along as so much new info has surfaced. And we now have 3 55 Packards with very curious numbers, two with 2XXXXX numbers which corresponds to about 1936, and one vehcile with no alpha prefix, but an alpha suffix. It must have truly been chaotic taking back body construction from Briggs, along with all the other changes for 1955. At least that's what I make of it at this time, data for 55/56 has been surprising limited, given the number of cars made and their relative newness.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
One would think the "I" with smaller serifs would be the number, not the letter, go figure...

Posted on: 2010/5/8 19:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is no provision for an alpha "I" in the series of letters designated for use in the thief-proof numbering system.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Are we to assume that the ONLY alpha letters used are A,B,C,D, and E ????

OR, to ask the question another way:

Is "I" the ONLY alpha letter not used as alphabetic???

Posted on: 2010/5/8 21:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved