Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion bar car on the rack
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Took my car into a strange service place due to a low tire and had quite a spirited discussion over putting it on the rack.

Is there anything I can print and put in the glove box to show such people? They clearly thought I was nuts---and they may be right---look what I'm driving........

They ended up very reluctantly using a floor jack on the frame; not sure they understood what a frame is/was either.....

Posted on: 2010/5/11 21:53
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Torsion bar car on the rack
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wouldn't think a frame hoist would be a problem. The only cautions Packard mentions are in tech bulletin 54-T19https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/54T-19.pdf and in the service manual. Essentially both say the same thing which is not to jack under the rear load arms and not place a jack under the protruding link and shock absorber on the front.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Thanks. Some people just have to have something "official" to see: this should do it.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 23:27
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You should turn the T/L system off if using a frame hoist or the rear wheels will go up the limit. Then when you let the car down, you will have to wait till the car levels out again. It is simple just to shut the T/L system off when being hoisted. The old type of racks where you drive on don't present the same problem. Are there any of those around anymore?

Posted on: 2010/5/12 1:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
It was years ago, but a local church official had a torsion bar Packard. The Torsion Level was not turned off when the car went up on the rack and considerable damage resulted. When I took my 55 Patrician in to be greased, the shop owner refused to do it. He had had a bad experience with the Torsion Level.

To be on the safe side, my mechanic disconnects the battery before lifting the car.

When Craig was building his Panther, he photographed the gear end of the the auxiliary torsion bars The limit switch had apparently failed and the gears were twisted.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 9:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I don't service it myself, all the service on my 56 Carib is done by a local garage that also services several other Packards with TL. Even though they know enough to disconnect the battery when lifting, I still paste a note on the windshield facing the driver so when they go to move the car they can't miss it and are reminded.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 9:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks to all that mentioned turning off the T-L. Most important and it absolutely should have been in my response.

As per my usual, an attempt to be brief means I forget to mention vital info and covering all contingencies makes the reply so long people stop reading halfway thru. Writing appears to be a skill I will never master.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 9:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved