Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Horn not working - 54 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I have a question for the team. My horn is not working. I did a by-pass test on the horn relay using a screwdriver to create a circuit/contact and that worked making a nice sound. I bought a new horn relay and still had the same problem of no sound. I took the horn button off the steering wheel for a look and to see if there was metal to metal for a contact and there was. So - I don't know what to check next. Is there a fuse somewhere that might be blown? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Frank

Posted on: 2010/5/21 20:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Horn not working - 54 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
check to see if you are getting a ground to the relay when you push the horn ring/button. The system works by grounding the relay when you toot

Posted on: 2010/5/21 20:15
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you're not getting the ground, first thing I'd check is the wire coming out of front of steering gear box. Have seen that broken or disconnected from the wiring loom. If all good there, then problem most likely is the contact at the steering wheel not moving enough to make a good ground or if the wheel or horn ring assembly has been removed, it may not have been properly re-assembled.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks - there are 2 wires that lead into the Horn Relay. One is red and the other is black. Which is the one that should be check (test) to see if it has the ground working? I presume the black one. If it doesn't seem to be doing what its supposed to do, I think my next thing is to take the cover off the steering column where according to the electrical diagram, I think a fuse resides. Also - as far as testing the wires is concerned, I guess I can go to an auto-part store and get tester to check for current. If all of this doesn't work, I'll hire someone (which is what I should probably be doing in the first place) - cheers

Attach file:

jpg  (130.60 KB)
1341_4bf807d507f75.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2010/5/22 11:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is no fuse. The red is 6v and comes directly from the solenoid battery post via a splice in the loom near the voltage regulator. The top black wire in your picture going into the loom goes down and exits near the steering gear box and generator, oil sender & coil wires. It is connected via a round black plastic connector to the wire in steering column directly from the horn button. That is the one to check for ground. The other black by itself should be going into an opening toward the radiator and to horns.

The only other electrical in your steering column is a light for the Ultramatic indicator and a wire to the washer button if you have that option. Those will be by themselves and the directional signal will be in the round 6 wire black plug, all coming out the side of column just below dash.

Where did you put the screwdriver to do the test? You can check if the relay is operational without a meter by touching a piece of wire or the screwdriver between the top black wire and ground. The horn should blow if relay is good and properly wired. If it does then there is a problem with the horn button getting ground to relay. If it does not, then relay is bad or wired incorrectly. It looks correct but there should be some stamped (maybe faint) letters near or underneath the terminals H for horn, B for battery and S for switch.

Posted on: 2010/5/22 12:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thank you very much! It's working. Appreciate all of the help. I cleaned (scrapped) the wire lead/contacts to the horn relay and that did it (I think) some re-aligning of the horn button may have helped. At first I heard a muted beep so the more I rough them up (cleaned) the more the horn came to life until finally they were beeping in harmony. Is there a spray of some sort than can clean contact points like the ones I'm describing? I know they make cleaners for battery terminals but I think those may be to strong/causive for little wires - thanks again!

Posted on: 2010/5/22 16:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Radio shack or any decent electronics store will have some type of contact cleaner. It may be called TV tuner cleaner like this one from Radio Shack but will do the job.

The outside terminals where the wires are can be cleaned with a piece of fine sandpaper or file. The cleaner is not really necessary there but wouldn't hurt if you get some as it will protect them a bit from more corrosion. If you do use it, be careful around the paint. Most cleaners won't hurt but you never can be sure. If you are going to clean the relay points inside the relay then the cleaner will be a help.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.04 KB)
209_4bf884bef1d61.jpg 778X281 px

Posted on: 2010/5/22 20:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved