Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 168

Leeedy, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'39 Packard 110 Transmission Fluid (& Rear Dif Fluid)
Just popping in
Just popping in

whose2know
See User information
I believe I have read that the tranny fluid for the '39 110 is the same fluid as the rear dif. I recently changed the rear dif fluid and I used SAE 85W140 limited slip Heavy Duty Hypoid API/GL-5 Plus fluid. First off, I'd like confirmation that I used the right fluid, second, I'd like to make sure I can use the same in the Tranny.

I'm planning on swapping cars for a few weeks with my father in law...I have the best of both worlds, as he has a Morgan +8. I want to make sure I change the fluids before I make the trek for the swap next weekend.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Posted on: 2010/6/5 16:46
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 Packard 110 Transmission Fluid (& Rear Dif Fluid)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your vehicle doesn't have a limited slip differential so I'd question what affect, if any, those additives might have. If it were mine, unless the product information says it's also acceptable for non-limited slip differentials I'd drain and refill with the same lubricant w/o the limited slip additives. Probably a case of being over-cautious. I've used SAE85W-140 EP hypoid in all my Packard differentials and transmissions and steering gear boxes for many years, never a problem.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Yes to all the above from OD.
The trans in mine didn't like straight 90wt.
Alot quiter and easier to shift whith the 85-140.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 19:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

whose2know
See User information
Thanks for the reply. What brand of oil do you use and where do you get it? I've tried Napa, but what I bought was what they had. If I want to get the stuff that is not limited slip...what brand should I buy...where do I get it?

Thanks,
Scott

Posted on: 2010/6/6 21:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lots of brands, over the years I've had Pennzoil, Valvoline, and Mobil. Comes in 5 gallon pails. I'll try to get a product code tomorrow off whatever I have in stock at the moment, but any decent auto parts store should be willing to order it for you.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Scott,

This gear oil may or may not be what your are looking for. I purchased Mobil 600W Cylinder oil #98K814-601260 from here.

Quality Oil Co
Address: 55 N 400 E, Valparaiso, IN 46383
Phone: (219) 462-2951
5 gals @$73.00 with shipping if I remember correctly

Posted on: 2010/6/7 6:14
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A non-synchro transmission (pre-1932) should use a straight non-foaming mineral gear oil, SAE 160 or so is the general recommendation. A pre-Angleset rear axle (worm or bevel) could use the same, but with a hypoid or Angleset rear axle you MUST use an EP (extreme pressure) lubricant. I personally don't see that 600W cylinder oil is an appropriate replacement for either, at least in the late 20s and newer Packards.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 7:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
O_D,
Can you tell me if the 85w140 can be substituted for the SAE 140 as recommended for the transmission and the Econo-drive supplied in my 40 110? If not, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve P

Posted on: 2010/7/6 15:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps. Myself and many others have used 85W-140 EP gear oil in postwar transmissions and overdrives for many years without problems, and I use it in the transmission of my 34 Eight. But the original lubricant for the OD was trans was a straight mineral gear oil without the extreme pressure additives which are present in a hypoid or rear axle lubricant like the 85W-140 and there was a caution years back that such lubricants would attack "yellow" metal (bronze, brass) components of transmissions and ODs. You could perhaps get a way with it, but if the car were mine I'd probably use a straight mineral gear oil in the trans and OD.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
Thank you very much for the comments and sage advice.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 16:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved