Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 125

humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Lets get specific about adding air conditioning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
the Packard bracket forms the bottom of the crankcase?
evidently, on some of the OEM Lehigh compressors. I also have one Lehigh compressor and bracket which the bottom of compressor is completely separate and the bracket is a flat plate.

Bottom line, I've got a couple of what I believe to be OEM AC setups and a couple of aftermarkets which may be using some Packard parts, plus I've looked at the photos above. No two of what I've seen are even close to the same. We must be cautious about statements which give the impression there was only one factory Packard V8 AC design and parts.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/7 11:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In above images, 630 is factory bracket without the compressor attached. 633 is Sanden universal mount sold by Classic, Vintage, etc. 632 is the factory bracket with universal mount sitting on top.

The second batch of photos show a mount made by those who installed that particular AC system using the Sanden universal mount on a fabricated plate.

In the following pictures, the "comp side" and "Lehigh" are shown installed on engine with the mount attached and forming the bottom of the compressor crankcase. The "Lehigh aftmkt plate" photo is the bare Lehigh compressor which was used by factory, many dealers and some independents to install various systems. Note the square plate on the bottom. That plate forms the crankcase bottom there and also allows bolting to the other type bracket many have mentioned as being available. York, Tecumseh and other compressors could also use that bracket.

As Jack mentions above, there was apparently more than one factory setup. The second picture labeled "Lehigh" below comes from the factory publication showing dealers how to install the factory air system after the car had been delivered. That instruction is available on the site here. Figure 7 in the AC section of service manual also shows that same one piece compressor/bracket setup.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.84 KB)
209_4c0d1a45a368b.jpg 640X418 px

jpg  (70.84 KB)
209_4c0d1a536fe07.jpg 622X592 px

jpg  (36.51 KB)
209_4c0d1a5ed54d2.jpg 640X468 px

Posted on: 2010/6/7 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Thank you for the clarification.

At this point, I think I would like to just have this done, with all new parts. I;m leaning to a Mark 4 type floor unit in the car.

Does anyone have strong feelings on what this should cost?

Any preferred place to install it in the Chicago area.

Not concerned with penny pinching; want it done right at a reasonable price....

Posted on: 2010/6/7 23:07
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Whatever u decide just be sure that 2wo things are done:
1. A SITE GLASS in the system.
2. a thermostat to controll the compressor clutch NOT a line pressure control switch!!

The service provider will try to talk u out of a site glass. They always do try to. It is to your benfift to have a site glass. They are not expensive and can be installed easily when a new system is installed.

The thermostat clutch control is easier and cheaper to service if it goes bad. A pressure switch control for the clutch will require complete discharge and recharge of system to replace it if it goes bad.

Where do u plan to get a Mark IV system NEW????? I believe Mark IV is out of business now for over 30 years???

Posted on: 2010/6/8 6:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The 50's cars had little to no insulation in them. Especialy the roof. SO, the car will need a LARGE condensor!! A marginal or small condensor will take a long time to cool the car if it gets real hot inside after setting in the sun all day long.

The problem is getting a MODERN large condensor to fit the space in front of the 55-56 Packard radiators.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 6:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
A fan shroud is a good idea too. But that will most likely have to be custon made. AND a heavy duty fan.

One of the problems with the mark IV trans hump mount systems is that they are noisy because the fan motor is inside of the car and the motor tends to run rather hot.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 7:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It is also a good idea to have flexible lines at the trans hump mounted evaporators. It allows for the unit to be removed for under dash service withOUT disconnecting any freon lines.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 7:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The trans hump mounted Mark IV unit also interferes with the glove box door opening all of the way. It opens enuf but not all of the way to allow for cup holders. There will also need to be some rubber bumpers mounted on top of the evap. to gaurd the glove box door from scratches.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 7:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Please keep us posted on your progress with this AC installation as it goes along. We would all like to know the details of the system u install.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 7:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here's mine:

Attach file:

jpg  (45.35 KB)
35_4c0e38a1a0d82.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.66 KB)
35_4c0e38c8d0953.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.77 KB)
35_4c0e392131675.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/6/8 7:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved