Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 234

53 Cavalier, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Lets get specific about adding air conditioning
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I'd like to add air to my 56 Patrician. When I go to websites like antique air I see a lot of hot air about their unit, and only their unit, being perfect for any possible application. Then, when you go to specifics, that seems to be my problem.

Will the Packard a/c bracket work--if I can find one--? Nobody really knows, but probably not.

Where do I get a bracket? Oh you just have one made. Nobody knows really where because Leroy died six years ago and he made mine.....

Where do I get the three ring belt device for the crankshaft? Nobody knows for sure, but maybe cousin Roscoe has one on one of his junkers.

HELLLPPPPPP! Somebody must have put it all together that isn't a defense contractor.....

Suggestions, preferably specific for where to get all the pieces--and which setup is best? Please remember that I am mechanically challenged and will have to have this done.....

Thanks for letting me rant....

Posted on: 2010/6/6 12:53
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Lets get specific about adding air conditioning
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Packard bracket from the factory was integrated with the Lehigh compressor and actually formed the crankcase bottom. That being said, the Lehigh can be removed and a generic Sanden mount can be attached by drilling holes. There was also a different mount available from either the factory, dealers or aftermarket -don't believe anyone is absolutely sure which- that also accommodated the aftermarket Lehigh with regular bottom and other compressors of the day. Several of those have been documented. Jack Vines at one time did have some extra brackets and/or compressors for sale.

Some have made some very decent ones from scratch and might be able to offer pointers or instructions. Jack Nordstrom at the Studebaker club offers a bracket which will fit but is a bit elaborate. Downside to any so far except Nordstroms is they all either require the oil filter to move or bracket also bolts to the radiator hose outlet which makes servicing thermostat a pain.

The crankcase pulley is an issue. Unless Jack Vines has those also, the originals may be hard to find without a parts car. I believe Nordstrom may have the original in an aluminum reproduction though. Several have successfully added another power steering pulley to drive the compressor. It is a larger diameter than the stock AC but Sandens should be able to handle the revs. Would be careful if using an old style piston compressor such as Lehigh, York or Tecumseh with the PS pulley though.

Here are a couple of previous threads where the subject is covered. There are pictures of various items.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=45329#forumpost45329

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=26017#forumpost26017

EDIT: somewhere on site there is a thread detailing V8 units inside and engine compartment and different brackets but can't find it at the moment. Here are a few pictures of the factory integrated bracket minus the compressor and an aftermarket Sanden bracket.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.74 KB)
209_4c0be97778f2b.jpg 640X445 px

jpg  (37.25 KB)
209_4c0be99ad7017.jpg 640X510 px

jpg  (30.36 KB)
209_4c0be9a98a89d.jpg 640X470 px

Posted on: 2010/6/6 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
patgreen, here are two photos of a new style AC compressor installed on a '55 400.

(o{I}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (100.37 KB)
565_4c0bef7fe06ed.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (99.12 KB)
565_4c0bef9c24d7c.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2010/6/6 13:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Like your bracket because the filter doesn't move. Where or what does the support under compressor side bolt to?

Posted on: 2010/6/6 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
As mentioned above, I've got a couple of factory brackets and pulleys, as well as a couple of aftermarket setups.

One of the '56 factory units doesn't use the Lehigh V4 compressor, but uses a flat-4 compressor that I've never seen before. I'll have to take a photo to see if anyone recognizes it.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/6 15:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Like your bracket because the filter doesn't move. Where or what does the support under compressor side bolt to?

HH56, not my car. It was at an AACA Texas Tour in Fredericksburg, Texas last year. If you want more info I can try and find out who the owner is and have him get in touch with you. Very clean car, and nicely detailed. I think it was at Salado too.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/6 21:43
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you want more info I can try and find out who the owner is
JW, Thanks but that's not necessary. Was just curious because it is a custom bracket with the Sanden mount plate and appears very nicely done. Just like to collect little tidbits because you never know when info will come in handy.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
JW.........where/how do those a/c lines enter the rear of the a/c unit in the cabin?

Posted on: 2010/6/6 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

KevinAZ wrote:
JW.........where/how do those a/c lines enter the rear of the a/c unit in the cabin?

KevinAZ, do not remember and did not get a photo. Do you want me to try and find the owner for you as I offered HH56?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/7 9:13
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Thanks; some useful info. Would you be so kind as to tell me what the pictures are? Like I said, I'm not mechanical.

Also, the Packard bracket forms the bottom of the crankcase? Of the V8?

Posted on: 2010/6/7 10:47
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved