Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Dual Quad Intake
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not to discourage you, by all means go ahead. The 2x4 manifolds were offered as repro items quite a few years ago in cast iron. IIRC the vendor was Empire Motors who had a rather sketchy reputation for delivering on what was advertised. Whether they actually made any or not, I'm not certain. But the difficulty in getting the manifold is exceeded by quite a bit by the difficulty in getting the correct carbs (though I guess there are alternatives with modern carbs or even reworked WCFBs). And if you're looking for correct appearance, the air filter is the real obstacle - I doubt $1000 buys one these days though a couple of chrome pots from Pep Boys would suffice. The linkage itself would be pretty easy to make if you had a good sketch with some rough dimensions. The small swivel ball sockets, though not a cosmetic match as the originals, are available from places like MSC, perhaps McMaster.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 12:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i tell you the one that Hardy has is a smoking deal, to bad he hasn't logged on since and only posted once.

you could clean that thing up and put it on ebay and net about 1000 profit or more!

i'm suprised nobody bought it just for that.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/3/21 13:44
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Nelson
See User information
Hank,

I saw it and was tempted, but I would not be able to sell it if I got it--it would go on my car. That would not make my wife very happy. She does indulge my car habits, but explaining to her a $500 purchase that I cannot even use yet (I do not have the air cleaners, second carb, etc) would be tough!

Josh

Posted on: 2012/3/22 10:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
(I do not have the air cleaners, second carb, etc)

You don't need a "second" carb. You need TWO carbs - both front and rear, specific to the Caribbean, and for the correct year/displacement.

To get an idea of all the differences (not only front/rear, but 55/56 and single/dual), download the 1955-56 Packard Rochester 4GC Service Information that I provided for the PackardInfo archive and run through the included part number reference charts, as well as the basic specifications.

The only other car I know of that used dual 4GCs in this period was Cadillac, but I don't have any details.

Some have suggested reworking other models of 4GC to "fit", provided you can find the necessary parts (which is a whole 'nuther matter) or adapting a set of dual Carter WCFBs as used on 56-57 Chevies, 56-61 Corvettes, and 55-58 Chrysler products.

Yet, the devil is always in the details - that is, finding all the necessary components, putting them all together, and getting it to work.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 14:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
if i was going to do something with this i would just mount something modern up to it with adapter plates and just some breathers. its very easy to remove the manifold and all for an authentic Packard show. just swap back the original stuff.

but honestly if i were to have seen this for sale, i woulda bought it for 500 and turned a HUGE profit on it and done something else to my car to finish it faster.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/3/22 14:56
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
If its not to be used on a Caribbean why worry about using stock carbs it won't be correct on any other Packard. New carbs come with less problems and jets and parts easier to find. Lots of 2X4 manifolds are used on many cars that did not come with them including For Chevy Chryslers and many others the eye appeal is the effect most people want. Most people who look at A Packard or any V8 with 2X4 are impressed and will not not know if all is correct. Even if they do as the owner who cares what they think almost none except your wife have much of a say on what you do with your toys.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 15:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Nelson
See User information
Thanks for the input. I did not realize that the carbs were actually different.

If I was going to do this, I would definitely consider newer carbs. However, I would like to keep my car as stock as possible, so this is out for now.

Josh

Posted on: 2012/3/22 15:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

joe
See User information
wow i did not realize how valuble some of this stuff is.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 18:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved