Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 201

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '53 Cavalier fuel problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why not just get a new filter element? I bought a Carter Ceramic fuel filter element from Gerald E. Koch, 6727 Country View Lane, San Antonio, TX 7820-2704, hondo37@aol.com. The price was $19.95 plus S&H and came with a new gasket. It is the short type filter. I believe he also sells the glass bowls and complete filter assemblies. He sells on eBay too.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/10 9:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
This does have the odd gasket in the top of the housing. I made sure that I blew out the filter in reverse. I'm going to try and run her without the ceramic filter in a little bit here. Just got up and need to perform morning ablutions before working on the car. Thanks guys!
By the way, thanks for the info on the filter replacement. All the others I've found so far didn't include the gasket and were MUCH more expensive.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 10:09
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The cheapest place to buy the ceramic elements and bowl gaskets is TSS (Tractor Supply Store) as that style of filter is still use on many tractors and farm machinery. I think they are less that $10.

Other "Farm Supply" stores may carry them also.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 12:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Good morning all. Pulled the ceramic filter, turned the key, started up no problem, fuel bowl full. Thanks for the tips, Kev! Guess I'll be getting a new ceramic. Just wanted to thank everybody out there, especially Kevin. This is one hell of a site and it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY!

Scott

Posted on: 2010/6/10 13:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
year ago I worked at an electronics manufacturing company. We had an ultrasonic cleaning machine for de-fluxing (solder flux) parts. I took my ceramic filter out, which was turning brown due to the amount of rust being pulled from the tank and ran it through the cleaning machine and it came out beautifully clean. I found later that the lower chamber of my fuel pump was stuffed full of rust particles, so much so as to resemble a coffee maker filter! I did a pump rebuild and chem-stripped and coated the tank and all of those problems went away.
SO, I would at least look into the lower chamber of your fuel filter, there might be a lot of crud in there. There is a screen filter that does a "coarse" job of filtration, then the ceramic does the "fine" filtration.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 9:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved