Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 189

Phat Jonny, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

More on the Great Pushrod Controversy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
So long ago, I've forgotten who held what, but there was a discussion about differing pushrod identification marks and lengths.

I decided to see what I could learn, so I bought a Starrett 10-11" micrometer.
Resized Image
The Packard V8 pushrod has a nominal length of 10.506". If I understand pushrod terminology, this assumes the 1/4" spherical ends are complete. The Packard V8 pushrod has a dimple in each sphere, thus making it shorter than the drawing dimension. With this precision instrument, I measured 128 pushrods. The variation was greater than expected. The length ranged from 10.462" to 10.502". The shortest group showed considerable wear, to the point the dimples were almost gone. Most were in the range of .474" to .484". There were sixteen which were in the .494" range and only two longer than .500".

So, yes there are differing lengths. No, I couldn't find any secret marks. Every one of the 128 looked identical to me.

Does the length variation matter? Not really. The hydraulic lifter has a travel range of .230" which should handle the .025" variation of most of the pushrod lengths.

However, the one thing I did learn is to inspect the tips of the pushrods very carefully and measure each one. Some may be too worn to reuse.

Now, for something new and completely different. I found a set of NOS aftermarket "Bulldog" pushrods.
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Note the Bulldog pushrods have a black oxide coating. They are only 5/16" diameter vs. 3/8" for the OEM. The Bulldogs only weigh 2oz vs. 3.5oz for the OEMs. They just went into the engine for my Stude truck. If I were building a performance engine with stiffer valve springs and higher RPMs, I'd probably stay with the OEM pushrods, as they're probably less likely to deflect.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/11 23:12
 Top  Print   

Re: More on the Great Pushrod Controversy
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Interesting that the Packard and Stude pushrods are same length. Do you suppose Packard engineering consulted the folks in South Bend while they were designing their V8??
I don't believe in coincidence.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 0:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The Packard parts book shows different numbers for 1955 and 1956 pushrods and I've always wondered why. There is no obvious difference between the two and no mention of the change in the Service Counselors or Bulletins.
Maybe it's something like a difference in hardness on the tips.

Brian

Posted on: 2010/6/12 1:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I found 2 or 3 of those BlullDog pushrods in one of my engines. They were apparently used as a service replacement.

See p 23 of the engine section of the service manual. Procedure titled "Checking Valve Tappet Clearence". On engines built up from miscellaneous parts or new new parts I always try to arrange the pushrods to attain a nominal 'lash' between the upper and lower limits. Especialy true when using any 'retro fit' lifters or pushrods not specifically catalouged for the Packard V8.

As for the different part number on push rods between 55 and 56 i can only guess at this point that it could also be due to the different cams. 55 had less lift than 56. Also 55 and 56 used different lifters so possibly the lifter seat was lower or higher or different in some way between 55 and 56. Therefore different lengths of pushrods between 55 and 56????

EDIT: I just remebered that i ordered 3 or 4 pushrods from Kanter about 8 years ago and they are just like the BullDog pushrods in the picture above.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 7:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JV.
About how old are the bulldog pushrods???? Are they made in Mexico????

Posted on: 2010/6/12 7:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The bullDog in the picture appears to be considerably longer than the oem pACKARD PUSHROD???

Posted on: 2010/6/12 8:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
About how old are the bulldog pushrods???? Are they made in Mexico????
No way to ascertain age, but they are very old stock and as shown in the photo, made by Jambor Tool and Stamping in Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
The bullDog in the picture appears to be considerably longer than the oem pACKARD PUSHROD???

Camera angle/optical illusion. The Bulldog pushrods are 10.490" length.

Quote:
Interesting that the Packard and Stude pushrods are same length.
Are they? IRRC, Stude used two different lengths of pushrods, pre-and-post '62. I don't have one at hand, but will check next week. I thought Stude V8 pushrods were around 11.265" length.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/12 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
in the early 80's i built some 4 different VW bug engines. JCWhitney supplied pushrods identicle in appearence to the Bulldog pictured. Shorter i believe of course.

Nearly everything JCWhitney supplied for the VW engine was made in Mexico including HD oil pump for racing. The parts seem to hold up just fine for low budget Formula V racing.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 13:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Interesting that the Packard and Stude pushrods are same length. Do you suppose Packard engineering consulted the folks in South Bend while they were designing their V8??
I don't believe in coincidence.

Randy, I think the labeling on the Bulldog push rod box indicates they are also for the Packard-built V-8 that was fitted to the '56 Stude Golden Hawk. Could be wrong, but ...

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/12 18:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved