Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 173

Sankie61, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Distributors and advance curves - how many did Packard build?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try this one:
http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/index.php

BUT there is problem! A COMMON problem with using conversion charts for plugs over the years. Use the 45XLS to convert to NGK or AL. THEn use the NGK or AL number to convert back to AC. They DON'T convert back and forth consistantly.

So the only option is to take the AL 56 or 66 number AND deciper it's meaning. OR use the AC number. THen use that criteria to build the new more secular number. Mite not work. I don't know.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 23:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It takes a lot of power to turn the oil pump judging by how my big electric drill strains and gets hot when I run a pump on my test stand. That constant load insures the distributor shaft is always pulled down onto its thrust bearing when the engine is running. Thus no timing variation. Or am I missing something?

Posted on: 2010/6/17 6:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Last year when in the US I went into a NAPA outlet and asked the guy for a set of plugs for my 55 400 he looked in a book and gave me Champion H10C's and assured me they were correct. I haven't fitted them yet are they OK...?
The plugs I am using now are Autolite 216 and seem OK.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 7:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Jack, funny how topics come along just at the right time.

I've just put my distributor in for reconditioning and was asked about the advance curve. Of course I only knew what is in the Service Manual, so I am very interested in whatever info you have on this topic. I have a '56 Patrician with a 374 and it's distributor is a Delco #1110865 (my spare is a #1110873).

Some time ago I fitted a Pertronix kit (#1183) into it and it has been performing well, with no problems. That is, apart from the timing varying occasionally, which we think might be due to sticking centrifugal advance weights, hence the need for reconditioning. I have also fitted the Pertronix 40K volt coil.

I have also fitted NGK plugs (#BPR5ES) which seem to work fine (I always go for NGK in all cars in the family), although I have never been sure what gap I should use, opting for a "loose" 35 thou. Should it be bigger? The R in the number relates to a resistor which is good for minimising radio interference.

Any info I can get about the advance curve would be greatly appreciated as I want to avoid as much pinging as I can with today's modern unleaded fuel, whilst not sapping power or mileage if I can avoid it.

Cheers, John

Posted on: 2010/6/18 2:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Does anyone running the NGK, Champion or AL plugs have any documentation for deciphering the characteristics of the plugs from their number?????

I have an older AC book that deciphers the numbers and have looked at several AL books. The AL books seem to be rather ambiguous and lacking detail.

I've never been able to find ANY information on ANY plug that was reasonably complete EXCEPT the AC.

Again, if the OLD Champion,AL or AC numbers can be decipherd according to plug CHARACTERISTICS then the NEW books can be used to determine a modern number for a modern plug with the same or very close characteristics.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 7:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I have a '56 Patrician with a 374 and it's distributor is a Delco #1110865 (my spare is a #1110873).
You might want to check out bulletin 56T-14https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/56T-14.pdf and compare those specs with the ones you gave the mechanic.

There was a mid year revision and slight changes to the curves from those in the original specs. Not sure right now where your spare distributor number fits, but the one on the car looks to be the original without the revision.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 8:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Decoding chart for NGK:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqcode.asp?mode=nml

My computer can't down load it so i don't know if the chart is any good or not.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 8:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's a 176K pdf file. If your email can handle that as an attachment, PM me an address and I can send it.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks HH56 but i will try to download it myself later on at another 'puter. My email address does not handle attachments at all.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
want to avoid as much pinging as I can with today's modern unleaded fuel, whilst not sapping power or mileage if I can avoid it.

Tuning a distributor to maximize power/economy and minimize pinging is a very labor-intensive process. Studebaker-Packard used the four different distributors mentioned above, plus they released a field service kit with different centrifugal and vacuum springs and vacuum shims to change the curves in the Autolite.

The four options:

1. Buy yourself a Sun or Allen distributor machine and make it your hobby to road-test and fine-tune your distributor curves. It'll take all summer, but fun if you like that sort of thing.

2. Spend money on a chassis dyno session, find which advance the engine likes at which fuel, load, road speed and throttle opening, then have a custom curve built in.

3. Use the existing distributor and experiment with finding the best compromise initial advance between 5 and 12 degrees.

4. Buy an electronic spark management system, such as the J&S Safeguard. This senses ping and retards the spark as necessary. I've got one more new one I got from Ted Harbit, the Studebaker racer. (Don't call Ted. He doesn't sell parts any longer.) They're expensive, but so is the labor to try to prevent ping with custom distributor curves.http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/19 13:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved