Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1936 120 Synchromesh Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
My 1936 120 cannot be put into first while rolling. Does my car have synchromesh in first or is my transmission not working correctly?

Posted on: 2010/6/27 21:29
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 120 Synchromesh Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
No syncro in low, just second and high.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/6/27 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Thanks Jim....

Is it possible to retrofit synchromesh on first gear?

Now mind you, I am one to keep a car original but I also put a premium on drivability.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 16:04
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When you can pull away and accelerate in 2nd from 2 or 3 miles per hour, it's hard to see the need. And I doubt very much that's its practical or even possible. That said, I've never even ever heard the possibility discussed before so perhaps a Eureka will come along.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 16:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
We have some serious hills out here in Pottersville. I would not want to try coming out of a Stop sign on a hill in 2nd.....

Oh hell, how about a 4 speed swap.. ;)

Posted on: 2010/6/29 16:45
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
It is possible to retrofit a late model (mid 80's) Toyota 5spd box into the Packard, but it not for amateurs...you gotta be willing to compromise something.
Honestly, I'd think you'd be best to get used to a non-syncho 1st gear, or on second priority, install a hill holder/line-lock if you are having trouble launching from hills.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 17:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Bill,

No, it is not possible to modify and synchronize low. You might consider a little practice with double clutching into low while still in a very slow roll.

This can be accomplished by pushing in the clutch, pulling the shifter in neutral, releasing the clutch, bringing up the rpm's (to match gear rotational speeds), and quickly depressing the clutch while pulling into low.

It take some practice, but can be accomplished and mastered. You will develop a feel over time and will skillfully shift in and out of low like they did in the old days.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/6/29 23:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
I agree. After practice the double clutching will become natural and effortless. Just be gentle with the shifter.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 7:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It's not clear to me what the problem is. FULLY synchroed 3 speeds did not appear in the US prior to 1965'ish. I have driven, as well as many countless thousands of of others have driven, cars with anemic 6 cylinder engines coupled to 3 speed transmissons thru out Pen, eastern ohio, tennessee with no problems at all. UNless a heavy railor is pulled or somekind of extreme weight added to the vehicle otherwise.

Your powerful streight 8 Packard should have pletny of power to pull even in the most difficult situations in 2nd gear unless at a complete stop. I did it many times with a 225 slant six which has nearly no power at all.

If u do a trans conversion be sure to get one with an OVERDRIVE. Watch low gear ratio on the transplant tranmission is not too long. Unless u are using a Toyaota TRUCK trans i would avoid a passenger car trans from any 4 cylinder for a swap. Too weak.

My driveability problems with vintage tin has never been with any conditions under 50 mph whatsoever. My problems have always been at speeds above 60 mph. That's why i recommend an overdrive.

If u never drive over 50 mph then just learn to drive the standard Packard 3 speed trans that u already have.

In fact, i'm not sure whay ANY passenger car with 6 cylinders or more would ever need a synchroed low gear.

CHECK your rear axle ratio. What is it???? Maybe the ratio is too long. Perhaps changed at one time or another.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 8:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though I may be in the minority, I've always found that one of the joys of the hobby is acquiring and using the skills that go with the era of your vehicle, be they maintenance skills (like servicing an oil bath air cleaner or installing ignition points) or driving skills like gear-changing. Though the occasions when you need to get back into 1st gear while still rolling forward should be exceedingly rare, being able to do so by double-clutching is one of those things that puts you in touch with the era of your car.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 8:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved