Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 220

BigKev, kevinpackard, Packardbarry, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Retuning the Tappet Tango......
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
56 Patrician with the stock motor, with 73,000 miles. New oil pump. Running Rotella 15-40. Oil pressure is pretty consistent--at least on the gauge--at about 11:45. Goes to 12:30 on the tollway. 93 octane only, Gunk lead substitute as directed.

When I drive around town, from cold, generally I go about 12-15 miles and tappet tango begins, usually one or two of the little boogers, perhaps attempting to break dance? This may continue for two blocks, perhaps adding an additional soloist, or it may go for five miles. It may disappear and then reappear, or may just disappear.

Stop for 20 minutes and it will generally be subdued for say 10 miles, then reappear.

Motor is running cool.

Recent new oil pump, "with the bushing".....before I got the car.

I'm running in D, not H, and I am ashamed to say that I baby the car outrageously.

Several friends have suggested seafoam or various exotic oils; others say "it's normal", whatever that is....

I would appreciate any prudent advice based on your experience........

Posted on: 2010/6/30 19:55
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Retuning the Tappet Tango......
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Run it with one quart over full mark and get back to us.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/30 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Here is what I have done in the past. Overfill the crankcase by 1/2 quart. Replace the lifters with Dodge truck lifters. Assuming oil presure is good. When I replace the lifters and the valve covers are off the car, I run the engine a look at the rocker arms ,etc to make sure oil is coming out and lubricating the rocker arms a shafts.
I am no expert but this has worked for me in the past. When ever I get a Packard, the swap to Dodge lifters is an automatic thing I do.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, the Dodge lifters and the Packard V8 lifters share the same part number. They are exactly the same. New lifters are usually a good idea, just no magic in asking for Dodge lifters.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/30 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
1. Running a quart or pint over will not cause damage?

2. Dodge truck lifters? Why? And which ones; surely they are not all identical........

Posted on: 2010/6/30 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
And the part number is ????????????????

More to the point, this is what, two hour job? A two day job?

What is involved? Pulling the heads? Deeper?

Posted on: 2010/6/30 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
1. Running a quart or pint over will not cause damage?
It is a wise person who does not accept everything he sees on the internet as true. A truly wise person has no need of the internet. Who ya' gonna believe?

Quote:
2. Dodge truck lifters? Why? And which ones; surely they are not all identical.And the part number is ????????????????

Chrysler 318(1967-1967),326(1959-1959),Dodge Truck 318(1959-1968)Packard 320, 352, 374(1956-1956)
Avon HL879, Elgin 1879, Hayden/AC HL36, Sealed Power HT879, TRW VL13, Melling 879J, NAPA 2131662, JC Whitney 37-731 NAPA 213-1662 JB879, , Federal-Mogul 879, Johnson HiLift A879 Mahle-Clevite 213-1662 AMC:327(1957-1960)

Quote:
More to the point, this is what, two hour job? A two day job? What is involved? Pulling the heads? Deeper?

An experienced Packard Technician could replace the lifters in a half a day. It requires only removing the intake manifold, rocker covers and valley cover. However, if one has to ask this question, it is doubtful if that one should attempt replacing the lifters himself. Do you own a Packard Shop Manual?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/30 22:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Patgreen:

Running a 1/2 quart over full is a trick to overcome oem oil pump deficiencies due to WEAR on the PUMP! It only relieves (in SOME but not all cases) the SYMPTOMS of the worn pump which is usualy SEVERE lifter clatter.

TEll us more about your oil pump.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 6:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For a more thorough diagnosis, check the hot, idling oil pressure with a good reliable mechanical gauge rather than relying on the electrical resistance gauge. And then check it again at the front of the driver-side cylinder head where the line goes to feed the oil filter. A hot, idling main pressure of 35 psi or more would be very comforting, and about 7 psi or more at the cylinder head feed to the filter.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 7:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Where to start? In no order:

I have only had this car a few months. Previous owner claimed new oil pump installed late last year....with the washer, whatever that means.

I have no intention of doing this myself. My skill level stops just this side of changing a light bulb. What I had in mind was some rough idea of what this should cost.....

I do have the shop manual, as does the mechanic. I also have the flat rate manual, which he does not seem to own.

And of course at this point, I'm wondering what passages might be clogged: that sort of thing. Like many people, my budget for this sort of thing is limited, so I feel I need to be prudent, with as few false casts as possible.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 17:03
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved