Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

replacing monroe PS
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Anybody got any tips or tricks for making this relatively easy? Maybe know where the pitman arm should be to get a good start? Thanks

Posted on: 2010/7/5 18:04
 Top  Print   

Re: replacing monroe PS
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming the steering wheel was on correctly, believe the arm is straight when wheel bars are also straight. Easy enough to go lock to lock and back by half to verify. There are some specific dimensions in the Monroe section of service manual instructing to tighten various bolts to get those dimensions and after that, what needs to be adjusted if steering pulls or otherwise needs fine tuning.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Sounds easy enough, thank you.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 18:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Permit me a related question JT?

Part 15.2007 (the zerk) is missing from my Monroe steering cross-tubes (both sides). Can anyone provide the sizes? can't find sizing in my 55th -56th series parts book.

Thanks much.

kg

Posted on: 2010/7/5 19:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can figure out the sizes, the small outer 90 degree fitting thread is exactly .250 in diameter. The larger straight inner one is .400. Parts manual says the straight one G110347 used on inner is 1/4-28 size x 1/2 long. Not totally sure I believe that but have no brass fittings on hand to double check. Can't find the G109461 listed anywhere either.

EDIT: Inner to me is the two on the power unit and outer would be the two at each steering knuckle end. The straight one was on the power unit. If the reverse is true, then the 90 degree one would be what I call a 1/4-28 as the threads do appear to be 28 by gauge measurement and the diameter is 1/4. The straight one might be the pipe or drive fit.

Attach file:

jpg  (6.54 KB)
209_4c328d03c0583.jpg 688X40 px

jpg  (26.16 KB)
209_4c328d0f1ec7f.jpg 501X250 px

jpg  (7.67 KB)
209_4c328d30f08d8.jpg 415X354 px

Posted on: 2010/7/5 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NOTE that that the last 2wo zercs in HH56's list are "drive fit". Check to see if there really are threads in the unit. Then use a thread gauge (they're cheap) to determine the thread pitch. VERY likely could be TAPERD PIPE (NPT) threads.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 21:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also note that tho i have not found any on my 56 Exec there are SOME applications in other manufatureers that use a bastard 5/16 MACHINE thread zerc. I think it is something like a 5/16 - 28 or maybe 32 thread pitch.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 21:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Kevin,
I have all the zerks on my old unit if you need them. Lemme know. The new unit i got had everything on it. The old unit i have is still good as well.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 1:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
JT.....I'll send u a PM tomorrow (when I get my car back) as it is getting the trunk lined at a fellow's house. Looking at the complexity of that endeavor, I chose to have it 'professionally' done.

I'll shoot you a couple of pics tomorrow of what I think I need. BTW, I'll study you engine pics and reciporcate by sending you something that is 'missing' from your project's engibe compartment. BTW, you got Ba --s! I like what you've done but it just wouldn't fit my personality. Nice job at keeping another Packard around for posterity! Also, all this time I thought you were working on a '55 Clipper HT?

kevin

Posted on: 2010/7/6 21:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved