Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wire Wheel Hubcap Noise?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Everytime I take my car out for a spin I need two new parts and have at least one odd question.

The passengers rear wheel has been making very odd noises for the last few weeks, sort of screechy, grindy howls.

So I took it to a local mechanic rather than run 35 miles to either Packard expert. My thought was to get it on a lift, possibly pull the wheel and generally see what's happening. As it turned out, the lift that will lift my car is tied up all day, so the mechanic came out and said run it a little so I can hear it.

As soon as he heard it he pulled the hubcap (without a tool) and the noise is pretty well gone.

The wheels are wires from Coker, with wide white radials. The hub cap is eyeball fine: no dents or bends, spring clips firm and properly in place. Likewise the wheels are visually fine.

So how do I eliminate the bagpipe and banjo band within the hubcap?

Posted on: 2010/7/14 16:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Wire Wheel Hubcap Noise?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just guessing - an improperly trued wheel or loose or unevenly torqued spokes.

Radial tires might contribute, there are folks who experience hub caps or wheel covers being "thrown" regularly at road speeds due to flexing of the wheel under stress. Remember that radial tires put more stress into the wheels and suspension that bias tires. I'd hope that new wire wheels are designed strong enough to take these added stresses - no personal experience with Coker wheels.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Pat

How are the insignia attached to the hubcaps? I had a '48 Cadillac that sounded like a tambourine going down the street because the clips holding the crests on the wheel covers work loose. The solution offered was to dismount the emblems, apply silicone and remount.

I never did it as the the other aggrivations with the car caused me to sell it. Since it was a Cadillac, it only took 3 years to find a buyer...

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/7/14 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The hubcap is a painted stamping; it is not made of several pieces. I've never thrown a hubcap on this car....

The wheels are new (year old) and barring horror stories or contrary indications, I'm assuming they are reasonably true. The tires and wheels were bought as a set, for this car, from Coker so should be compatible.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 20:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
PAt

What happens if you move the hubcaps around from wheel to wheel?

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/7/14 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I have no idea--but I will find out and report the results.

Posted on: 2010/7/15 13:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved