Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 127

Alvin14, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Custom Packard 1500/1501/1502/1605 Convertible Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Sean
In defense of 39Super8, sometimes we get pranksters here. Yes convertibles and Twelves bring more money than sedans and eights, but when you make a fake, you severely reduce your market, thus the value.

It would depend entirely on the quality of your customization. An extremely well done modified Packard "convertible" may bring more money than if you restored it as a sedan. A "shade-tree" job would probably bring less. In either case, if the work was done well, I'd find it hard to imagine that you wouldn't have WAY more money in the restoration or customization than they would bring on the market.
Most people do not restore cars to sell because it costs so much. They do it for the love of it. If your only motive is to make some money (and I find nothing wrong with that), then, again, you're going to make the most money by selling them as is, but in good running condition.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 9:36
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Sean Davis
See User information
Hello West Peterson

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am restoring the vehicles for my love of the car and while I am doing so, I want to make sure that if I do ever need to sell it I want to be able to get the most possible $$$ I can get for it.

There is a company out here in California called Newport Convertible Engineering that has done many convertibles on new and classic cars. Particularly a 1950's Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.

http://www.newportconvertible.com/product.jhtm?id=265&cid=138

They have done a wonderful job on the conversion of this Classic Sedan. My original thought is that some of these cars that I own would actually look better as a convertible than as a sedan. Just my 2 cents. Anyways i am new to the forum and am only here because of my love for my packards. Someday in the future I would love to own a 12 Cyl Convertible which I have been told is Rare. In any case , if I am able to achieve the similar look with one or all of my 8 Cylinders, than why not? There must be some value there especially since I am spending the money for the restorations.

Sean

Posted on: 2010/7/21 13:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
My two cents on the Cloud that you reference is that while it looks like a pretty decent job, anyone remotely interested in automobiles can tell from 80 feet away that it's a chop job...
... and a chop job equals "shade tree" in most hobbyists eyes. I think that Cloud would be worth more as a nicely restored sedan.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 14:27
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Sean

My advice would be to consider VERY carefully before acting on any customization project i. e. factory sedan body modified into a convertible. As has been stated, Packard enthusiast prize correct and authentic restoration above all. Any correct, extensive sedan restoration will put you "under water" vis-a-vis investment/resale value very quickly.

But I sympathize with your desire to customize the generally restored car to a more personally appealing form such as a convertible. If you check out my post from a year or so ago, you will find I design and render custom-bodied Packard that please me aesthetically (see my '38 Continental Touring Coupe art). While I would love to build one of my designs, the available car and especially finances preclude that from happening.

If you do decide to customize of the your sedans, please, please, please have extensive design work done up front and don't compromise on proportions or details to achieve the finished design. And please keep all features and details within the idiom of its period.

Good luck with your projects, more restored Packard are a worthy objective.

While I'll agree the company generally did a nice job converting the Silver Cloud into a convertible sedan, clumsy details as handling of the windshield header are a give away that it's a chop job. For reference, check websites with detail photos of the Mulliner-Park-Ward coachbuilt convertibles, anything short of that quality of work and attention to detail detracts from the finished car.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/7/21 18:28
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Sean Davis
See User information
thank you all for your replies. seems like I have alot to consider. Any more opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

best

sean

Posted on: 2010/7/21 19:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Sean, the theme of the posts you have made are how much are these worth and how can I make them worth the most money. You asked if doing a chop top in the context of the modified discussion forum would make them worth more, I advised against it. I think the reasons others have pointed out spell it out very well.

You then went on to ask about restoring the car(s) with a moon roof. Restoring means restoring to previous (as new) condition. Adding a moon roof just struck me as such a strange thing to do to a restored car I felt there was a high probability our leg was being pulled. Like I said, I was not being a jerk, but with only 4 posts at the time, there seemed a good chance of a prankster.

If you mean a customized car with a moon roof, perhaps, but I doubt it. You are asking about values of multiple cars, with no description of body style and no pictures. I explained that I was not being a jerk, but it was a legitimate question given the circumstances.

Gerd, I am aware of what forum this is, and only responded in surprise to the idea of restoring a car for the purpose of value with such a major modification. Again, if the question were about customization and not restoration, then it would sure make a lot more sense. Remember, I am very supportive of our friends with modified Packard's and enjoy their posts, progress, and craftsmanship.

Sean, I still welcome you to Packard Info. and take no offense to your remarks about me. I will only say that if you want to get the best idea of what each of your cars are worth, describe them in detail, post pictures and search the forums. You seem to be interested in maximizing profit on these cars through what ever means necessary. I don't think chopping the tops off or adding moon roofs will generate the ROI if you restore. I seriously doubt there would be ROI if entirely done as a custom. Typically, it seems like raw materials are about double the car's finished value, and labor is free.

Best of luck in what ever you do,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/22 0:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, There have been quite a number of "modified, customised, rodded" Packards up for auction recently on ebay and other sites. I have yet to see any get much bidder or buyer attention. A bike or a car is only original once. Probably 99% of potential buyers are seeking an original or restored very close to that originality. On the other hand I have a rusty 1938 LWB 1605 7 passenger sedan which I purchased from a beach years ago for around $US600. It has some interesting WW11 history but it would be very expensive to restore. I intend to convert it to a 7 passenger convertible sedan. It will not cost me a great deal of money as I shall do the work myself and use lots of Senior Packard parts that I have accumulated. However, if i have to sell the vehicle it is sold as a modified seven passenger sedan. Someone may appreciate that it is a cool machine and pay "original" dollars, but what happens when they try to sell it? I would agree with the cautionary note of many of the other participants in the thread. Best Regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2010/7/22 6:52
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Why not sell the 4 you have after you get them in good running condition and use the money to get a convertible to restore?

Posted on: 2010/7/22 7:42
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
That's good advice. It's usually cheaper to buy a car already done than to restore your own. It would be good to show photos of your cars, though, so we can at least see what you're starting with.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 8:12
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Sean, I have both original Packards and one that I modified. I can say from my experience that modifying a car be it Packard or brand X you narrow the market for potentual buyers. Even tho people say they like my modified Packard it has become a very personal posession.that rare will be the case to find someone with like taste to purchase it. I agree with the others that origionality is the best sales incentive. If you want a convertible for your own pleasure to keep then go for it. Check out my restore or.... post. Best of luck to you.

Packard taximan

Posted on: 2011/12/9 17:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved