Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 180

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: glass fuel bowl replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Given good, clean gasoline, the ceramic stone filter element should not require frequent cleaning, I clean mine with tuneups (every 5 to 10 thousand miles). When clean they are very non-restrictive. If they get coated with "gum", the problem is almost certainly old gasoline. The topic of how to clean the ceramic elements has been discussed before, they may be cleaned with solvent and blown gently with compressed air in REVERSE direction of the fuel flow to disloge debris from the ceramic matrix. Otherwise you're just blowing the debris further into the matrix and further reducing flow rate. Ultrasonic cleaning is probably the most elaborate and best cleaning method.

In my experience the major issue with them is that if you must service one while on the road, chances are that when you remove the bowl, you'll find the rubber gasket unsuitable for reuse as they get very brittle and often break when removing the bowl. Carrying a spare gasket (and ceramic) in the glove box is advised.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 8:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
I'm thinking that maybe we have crap gasoline here. I had to clean my element about every 50-70 miles or else I was stuck on the side of the road. I even purchased a new filter, same thing. Like I stated earlier, I'll get the dimensions and take one of you guys up on your offer, just to have a complete set on hand. Thanks everyone!

Scott

Posted on: 2010/8/6 19:43
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I put a filter back by the gas tank that is cleanable, to catch any crap well before it gets to the fuel pump. Most of the time the crap in the gas tank ends up blocking the filter screen in the bottom of the fuel pump.

Hopefully my ceramic glass bowl filter near the carb should stay clean for a long time.

Posted on: 2010/8/7 0:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Yep, I put an inline filter between the fuel tank and my fuel pump too. I change it out every couple of months or so. The filters only cost between $3-$4 bucks apiece anyway, its cheap peace of mind.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 12:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There were a reasonable number of the Carter glass fuel bowls at Macungie yesterday, range from $5 to $10 each. Unfortunately I came up one shy of the # I needed, so no extras at this time from me.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Thanks anyway, Owen. I always appreciate your help!

Scott

Posted on: 2010/8/11 12:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved