Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

glass fuel bowl replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Don't rightly know how it happened, but the other day when I went to take my Polly for a drive, I found the smashed remnants of my fuel bowl on the ground. Needless to say, I'm kinda torqed off about it and have to find a replacement. Any ideas as to where I can find one without hacking off a limb or two in return? By the way, Polly is my 53 Cavalier. Thanks folks!

Scott

Posted on: 2010/8/2 18:11
 Top  Print   

Re: glass fuel bowl replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One possible source is a tractor or farm supply co. Several have mentioned the small bowl type filters are used on tractors and that the smaller elements Packard used are available there. If no luck, then there are several places that have new glass bowl complete filter assys but they are not the same in looks as original.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 18:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not clear to me which of several possible glass bowls you're speaking of. Is it a glass-bowled fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carburetor - if so it's probably a Carter if factory equipped but could also be an AC. If it's the bowl on the pump, it's no doubt an AC. These come in several different depths and are commonly available used for $2 or so at antique car flea markets, and new ones are also easily bought - you might try "now and then" for example.

I've got a dozen or more of different sizes (no Carter), if you send me the dimensions and I have one I'd be glad to mail it to you gratis.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Mine is actually the Carter. I found four for sale on ebay but got busy and got outbid! Well, that's the luck of the Irish for ya! I'm going to remove the housing/metal body of it today so I can get some accurate measurement of the size. By the way, thanks for your offer, Owen!

Posted on: 2010/8/3 8:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm going to the Macungie PA show and flea market on Saturday, it's a VERY large flea market and I'll try to pick up a couple, I could use a spare myself and need one for a friend and if I can I'll buy 3, one for you. Although there were several sizes for Stewart Warner and AC, I'm only aware of a single size for Carter and I'll carry a housing with me to make sure I get the right one.

If you're near eastern PA, Macungie is a show and flea market not to miss!

Posted on: 2010/8/3 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Sorry, Owen, I live in the middle of the black hole for old car parts (ESPECIALLY Packard!). I live in Utah. Our biggest and best car show that featured people with parts was cancelled two years ago. The best venue that I have for parts is this site and ebay. I would look forward to the chance of actually meeting you at a car show somewhere, however I don't see that happening anytime soon given the distance between us. Too bad! I won't take my car anywhere further than about twenty miles or so... Anyway, thanks again for being such a decent human being. Look forward to hearing from you again,

Scott

Posted on: 2010/8/4 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Scott, there was an earlier discussion about these fuel filter glass bowls. Look at my postings for a source for the filters, gaskets, and bowls. If this does not work PM me.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/4 20:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I have some NOS AC ones and a couple of Carter ones, get me your measurements and I probably have one for you. I never use them, and remove them immediately from any car I own, as having a glass container for fuel no matter how small amount is a bad idea.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 8:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
I too was leary of using a glass bowl in my fuel system, so close to the exhaust manifold. So I took mine off and replaced it with a 5/16" universal inline. I think the filtration is better than that cuttlefish element in the glass bowl too.

I'm looking at it now, it's a Carter and it's complete. If you want it, I'll send it to you free. I know it needs a gasket.

Warren

Posted on: 2010/8/5 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Just as a matter of convenience (I needed to be able to at least move my car), I DID run the fuel line straight into the carb. I have an inline filter between the tank and the pump anyway. And I change it every three months, so the glass bowl really isn't necessary. Odd, every other vehicle that I noticed at the last show I attended that had the glass bowl also DIDN'T have the filter inserted (the fuel just doesn't go through the filter well, it gets gummed up REALLY quickly).
I'll get a measurement and take one of you good people's offer and purchase a replacement. I like to keep things on my car as original as possible. I'm not going to put it back on, just want to have a complete set on hand.
Thanks again,

Scott

Posted on: 2010/8/6 2:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved