Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 400
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Good day everyone, I have been looking for a Packard and came across a 52 400. The car has Van Auken bumper guards on it and is this a good thing or bad?? also there are 3 rock chips in the windshield,can these be repaired in the new method of repairing windshield or would I have to replace the whole thing?? the back emblem on the trunk is in bad shape also I believe these are still aval. but at a hefty price. the car looks to have been repainted and the interior is also redone but in a velour material. The car is in tip top shape as far as the engine and running great. The man that owns it is asking $17,500.00 and just wondering if this is way too much?? thanks in advance for all of your input.Also the only number I could find on it were 2552-4076 this was on the door jam and also found in the engine bay, thanks again.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 11:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1952 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 2552-4076 confirms a 1952 Patrician (aka 400), the 2076th out of about 3975 built. Seems like a very high price, especially if you're interested in authenticity as a velour interior would be a considerable detractor from value; one value guide gives that estimate of value for a near-perfect car. Just my opinion.

Can you provide me with the large embossed number (thief-proof number) on the engine side of cowl?

Posted on: 2010/8/6 11:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
yes, sorry for not including it the first time,that number is (B-311427) thank you!!

Posted on: 2010/8/6 11:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Danke schoen!

Posted on: 2010/8/6 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
I agree with Owen. Check out the Packards Internaitonal website (cars for sale section) and Hemmings Motor News. Both have websites with cars for sale. Last time I checked there were several 51 and 52 Patrician 400's for sale. My only point is that I think I'd do a little shopping. Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 17:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I agree with everyone else on that price but maybe the owner will negotiate a bit. To have newer paint already done (correctly??) plus the work in getting to excellent mechanicals in another car that is marginal can easily set you back a considerable portion of the asking price. To redo seats, unfortunately, will cost a bundle too. There are probably many cars out there in as good a condition for less but may be across country so there is that to consider.

I can't speak to the windshield from experience but would suspect the miracle repair concoctions won't do much for that one. Have had several repaired with fresh spots but been told that the older a spot, the less likely the repair will work - even on newer cars. Reason given was because it is almost impossible to clean well enough for the stuff to penetrate or stick or do whatever it does after glass has been exposed to the elements for any time.

The emblems are available and as you said, a little hefty in price.http://www.emblemagic.com/packard.htm

Posted on: 2010/8/6 17:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Thank You all for the great info. That is what I was thinking about the cost of having a car transported across the country. I see some other owners were asking questions about glass and have had good results with I believe is Phillips glass so I might look into that along with local glass companies in Az.

Any info on the Van Auken bumper guards?? I could kick myself for not taking any pictures,the owner is back in town on the 11th of this month so I will go back and talk to him again about the car and trying to convince him of a lower price.Are we talking really big bucks for a new interior?? The body is the maroon color and the interior is maroon with a lighter color of almost pink?? Thanks again for the info and please everyone keep the suggestions coming.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Ted - you are asking all of the right questions. The NADA guide below might be helpful to you in getting a rough idea of the cars value (www.nadaguides.com). Estimates on restoration vary considerably. For example, the windshields for a 54 Clipper Deluxe range from $360 to $600 before installation and a new seal. Rechromed front and rear bumpers were $350 or so each not including the bumper guards. A recored radiator cost me about $400 but its better than new. You may want to get the Max Merritt (317-736-6233)and Kanter (800-526-1096) catalogs to get an idea of part costs. You can go to their website too. The key is to restore wisely and you will enjoy your car more. With my car, I tend to do what I can and leave the rest to the experts. For example, I took my radiator out and drove it to the radiator guys to restore it and then put it back in. I find overall parts are reasonable but the labor can vary depending on the complexity of the job, the local economy, and the level of quality you want. You may be able to get some parts on Ebay, which is were I found my trunk emblem I agree the grill emblems are pricey for their size. Each tail light was $160 but well worth it. There is something to be said for the expression "do it once and do it right". A Patrician and a Caribbean in my opinion are two of the finest models and they really do deserve first class restoration work. If you google search auto upholstery work you can get a rough idea of what costs are like with a little research. Good luck and if this car does not come together for you I'm sure another one will. A couple of good places to check are Craigslist and Ebay to benchmark and also to find a car.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 18:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved