Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

THE JACK on 1948 - 1950 22nd-23rd Series Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi I've just acquired a correct jack for my 1948 22nd Series and I'm in the first stages of getting all the rust off to restore it.

Can anyone tell me if it comes apart in some way ? as the base plate seems very loose on the main jacking post, also the base plate has a shaped hole for hanging it up somewhere, I assume in the trunk ?

Also does anyone know where and how it was stored within the trunk, and lastly mine is just rust so I don't know what color it was when new ?

Any help very greatfully received

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (93.05 KB)
1329_4c5e7eeb5a9a8.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (83.11 KB)
1329_4c5e7f1fd1a3b.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2010/8/8 4:52
 Top  Print   

Re: THE JACK on 1948 - 1950 22nd-23rd Series Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Attached images from Don Reedy & Danny Shaub's book on Packard jacks and tools, and used with permission of the authors. The jack pictured is noted as used with the 48-50 Seniors and some Juniors, a similar but slightly different model but under the same part number was used on other Juniors.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.57 KB)
177_4c5ead7304144.jpg 628X961 px

jpg  (58.39 KB)
177_4c5ead8b94cd3.jpg 941X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/8/8 8:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Owen-Dyneto

Well that clears up one point the post does come out of the base - however HOW it does still has me stumped !!

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2010/8/9 2:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless someone's buggered it, the post just nests in the pocket in the base so I'd guess it's just rusted in place. Try some PB Blaster and a little persuasion.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
What a lovely old English word - buggered - use it all the time over here ! Yup you are right a good clout with my heavy ballpeen hammer and the bottom bit fell off.

I've now got rid of 95% of the rust and left the pole in natural steel and painted the working part/base and cranking stick with Hammerite black.

I know you'll know the answer to my next question - where does it live in the trunk ? - for instance should there be some clips or whatever to hold it in place ? - my car does not have any lining of any sort or clues to the materials either as all was eaten away by the South African bugs when she was used as a tractor on a tobacco farm in Rhodesia.

I have downloaded a few photos from the various websites which help but any further info. would be appreciated.

Photos of mine attached - looks a bit better eh ?

Regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (130.68 KB)
1329_4c84fd0fdb314.jpg 1127X845 px

jpg  (157.00 KB)
1329_4c84fd360cf24.jpg 1127X845 px

jpg  (156.01 KB)
1329_4c84fd5de87e2.jpg 1127X845 px

Posted on: 2010/9/6 9:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I trust you found my use of the word "buggered" to be appropriate to the circumstances? One of my favorite words as well.

If you look at the photo I posted earlier from Shaub and Reedy's book, the jack resides in a cardboard box which just lays in the trunk.

I suspect the sides and back of your trunk were "flocked" (no comments, please), a common practice back then of spraying an adhesive and they spraying with a short-haired bristle. You can still buy the materials, usually in "kit" form. Unsure about the floor mat in your trunk, perhaps just rubber but someone else will have a definitive answer.

Your jack restoration looks very nice indeed.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 14:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I just finished obtaining the jack and tools for my 1950 23rd series Deluxe Touring Sedan. Your colors on the jack are the same as my restored jack. The person I got it from is a Packard tool restorer and seems like an expert. He installed the yellow decal and provided a box like in the photo.

The trunk in my car was original and had a heavy cardboard on the floor. I had an upholstery shop make a new one. The sides of the truck were covered with black undercoating type material. I think it was original too. A lot of the coating has fallen off. When I get around to it I will clean the metal and paint it semi-gloss black. The trunk is not very pretty but I think it is correct.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 18:01
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Owen_Dyneto mentioned, most Packard trunks of that era were flocked on the sides and with some kind of mat for the floor. My 47 is a brownish color and a 51 I had in high school was more grayish.

This site has the flock materialhttp://www.donjer.com/index.htm but as Ross mentioned in another thread,https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=58518#forumpost58518 forget the applicator and after the glue is applied and ready, just throw the flock by the handfuls into a small fan, appropriately aimed.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks to everyone who helped with info. and photos etc.

Packard Info IS GREAT isn't it !

Best regards Michael

P.S Anyone interested in '48 glove boxes feed into Forums and find "'48 Glove Boxes"

Posted on: 2010/9/7 5:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved