Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 190

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Where's The Stop Light Switch On My 56 Executive?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The current Napa switch number is on the drawing. Early to mid 80's GM products. The bracket dimensions are for 56 and is just a piece of 12 ga flat stock. It is held by the two tabs bent up to lay flat against the column and then both captured by the clamp. I made my own clamp but a regular screw type hose clamp painted or partially covered with heat shrink might be easier. If you have a 55 it will probably need something with slightly revised dimensions for the different brake pedal arrangement.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.71 KB)
209_526480bc458da.jpg 1149X657 px

Posted on: 2013/10/20 20:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks. What do you mean by a "regular screw type hose clamp"? Is this clamp what holds the switch in place or do I need to get a holder for the switch?

Posted on: 2013/10/20 20:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You will have to make the bracket to fit your car. I just used some flat sheet metal roughly 1/16" thick. It needs to be fairly stiff. With the two little tabs bent at a 90 degree angle to lay flat against the column, use a screw clamp like this one to hold the bracket to the column. Once you open it up so you can wrap around the column you can also dress it up with heat shrink covering most of the metal strap so it looks more presentable.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.69 KB)
209_52648728a25df.jpg 206X225 px

Posted on: 2013/10/20 20:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
The clamp in the picture looks different than the screw type hose clamp; however, I've made one to work.

Now, do I just disconnect the wires from the three-prong switch and wire them to the switch per the diagram or do I still need to buy a relay to be sure my T/L continues to work?

Posted on: 2013/10/21 18:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No relay needed. The switch has two independent sets of contacts. When the pedal is relaxed, adjust the assy on the column so the switch button is pushed in. The set of contacts far away from the button should then be closed. With the switch wired as per the drawing, the pink or purple wire will be the hot wire feeding both sets of contacts. The set that is closed with button pushed in will feed the TL. When the brakes are applied, the button moves out and the set of contacts near the button will close to feed the brake lights as the others open.

What I did was disconnect the plug and wires from the existing brake switch but kept all intact. That way if you want to revert to original, it will be easy to do. To use the new switch I made a short loom and used bullet connectors on one end to fit inside the existing Packard brake switch plug connectors. Standard .157 male bullets are the same size as the brake switch terminals. Quick disconnect terminals to fit the new switch on the other.

IIRC, the existing harness to brake switch is fairly long and can pull back so new loom extension was only about 18" or so extra. You will have to measure how much you need. I pulled the entire piece back far enough to fit thru the accessory grommet to reach the new switch. Tape or heat shrink the bullet connectors into the old connectors so they can't pull out and you should be good to go.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 19:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Ok, no relay needed. I'll give it a try. I now have the 3-prong to 2-prong conversion kit with relay installed so I'll have to uninstall it before I tackle this mod. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 19:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved