Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 190

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Where's The Stop Light Switch On My 56 Executive?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
The switch is mentioned here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/mod ... t_id=16977#forumpost16977

I had forgotten about that one, so I stand corrected. Yet another option, so "pick your poison."

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/5 8:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
So, to summarize, we have a choice of three alternatives to the OE switch:

1) a three-prong VW hydraulic switch and adapt from VW's blade to Packard's bullet terminals

2) a two-prong hydraulic switch with relay added to emulate the OE third prong function for the T-L compensator

3) a mechanical brake pedal switch, as used on GM vehicles

Yet, I've often wondered why no one has ever had a new run of the OE three-prong hydraulic switch made. I suspect the effect of DOT5 on the three-prong switch has more to do with tired old stock and a diaphragm that was never tested for use with that fluid. Surely, a more modern and compatible material could replace that in new production.

Several past sources for the three-prong switch have been mentioned, but inspection of more than one factory-installed switch that I've removed showed evidence of the true manufacturers logo, obscured by the crowded layout of the three prongs. If you check an OE two-prong switch, you'll see the full logo, which reads as "FASCO". I believe that was the former F.A. Smith Co., of Rochester, NY, but the only FASCO I can find these days makes electric motors - no switches.

As commonly used as the two-prong hydraulic switch once was and as widely available as it remains to this day, it's hard to believe that suppliers/vendors are working off of decades old stock.

I've often wondered if the old tooling for the three-prong terminal board and diaphragm still survives, somewhere. Heck, with three T-L cars, I'd buy a half dozen or more if such a new switch was available, provided the price wasn't outrageous.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 9:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I know that this whole thread has been a great learning experience for myself and I'd hope for others. One thing is still remains if someone would be so kind as to help. That is if you choose the GM mechanical switch, do I leave the old non-functioning hydraulic switch in place, or do I bypass it with a new brake line (a lot of work for a non professional)?

I just have to wait until I get my Packard back to actually implement my chosen option.

Bob

Posted on: 2010/9/5 9:51
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
That is if you choose the GM mechanical switch, do I leave the old non-functioning hydraulic switch in place, or do I bypass it with a new brake line (a lot of work for a non professional)?

If it is not leaking, leave it there.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/5 10:07
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
If it is not leaking, leave it there.

Agree, but if it is leaking or you want to remove it then it is a standard 1/8" pipe thread and any decent auto parts or hardware store should have a brass plug in that size.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 10:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Posted this by mistake in the thread on "Old Brake Fluid", subsequently deleted. Here's the PI kit; bracket on the relay is for mounting under the air duct. The hydraulic switch (supplied) is a simple Echlin SL-134 available most anywhere for about $12. This kit is widely used and by all reports trouble-free.

Installation is a no-brainer. Two wires connect to the new brake switch and the other 3 connect to the existing brake light switch harness by simply inserting the bayonets into the harness end.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.72 KB)
177_4c83b484013de.jpg 1111X1054 px

Posted on: 2010/9/5 10:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Looks like they did a nice job with that kit.

Given the widespread availability of the two-prong hydraulic switch, I'd be tempted to use it.

However, in the event that replacement is needed, what's the availability of that compact relay?

Posted on: 2010/9/5 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually, the manufacturer's name and model # can be read off the relay. It's just a very simple and very widely available and commonplace "normally closed" relay which keeps the T/L circuity live until the brakes are applied which in turn opens the relay, inactivating the T/L until the brakes are again released. Just like the original setup.

Two-pronged brake switches are still in everyday production by several national manufacturers, so no problem there.

Yes, it's a nicely constructed little kit and for $33 not really worth the effort to source and make it yourself, IMO.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 10:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
OK, after I clicked on the pic and zoomed in (in the new window), I can now see that the source info might simply be obstructed by a wrap of electrical tape that appears to be holding the relay to the bracket.

Yes, at that price, it's not worth trying to reinvent the wheel. I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't be painting myself into a new corner of obsolescence with that kit.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 10:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
more than one factory-installed switch that I've removed showed evidence of the true manufacturers logo, obscured by the crowded layout of the three prongs

Wagner-Lockheed FC-22052. Wagner's source was ASCO, Automatic Switch Co. of Florham Park, New Jersey, still an ongoing concern and owned for years by Dutch Darrin's brother, hence it use then and still as a venue for a regional spring AACA meet as well as other collectable vehicle organizations.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 11:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved