Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

PackardStan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Frozen piston
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Eric is correct:
Gentle persuasion and finesse wins over brute force every time.
Didn't any of you guys date in high school?
And, as Keith says, those pistons are rare.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Used STD bore 320" and 352" pistons are common. What is very rare is a block which can use STD pistons. Every engine I tear down is worn at least .005"-.010" oversize, thus needing a minimum of .030" overbore to insure it cleans up perfectly.

The only used STD pistons which are good for anything are the 374"s. I beadblast them clean and bore a 352" .125" and make it a 374".

Second point - if a piston is corroded enough to hang in the bore, it is very unlikely to be reusable, anyway.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/13 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Didn't any of you guys date in high school?

LMFAO! That's where I learned that too!

Posted on: 2010/9/13 23:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resized Image

I rolled the engine over and with a large punch knocked the piston down about a quarter inch. Then I tried to clean out as much of the rust ridge as I could. Then flipped the engine back upside down and beat on it until it released the piston. I can't say for sure if the Coke worked but the piston is out!

Posted on: 2010/9/14 6:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
Jack I'm sure I am going to have to bore the block. What do you suggest for pistons? I do like the idea of going .125 over and having a 374.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 7:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jreeder, what are your plans for the oil pump????? Don't let the old one get away from u. When u have a chance tear it apart and post some pics of the input shaft bore. Is there a bronze bushing in the input shaft bore???? Does it have the vacuum pump on the bottom of the oil pump???

For many years we have analyzed the V8 oil pumps.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 7:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Jack I'm sure I am going to have to bore the block. What do you suggest for pistons? I do like the idea of going .125 over and having a 374.

You can't get there from here. A +0.125 on a 352 is 374CID. Your 55 Clipper engine is 320CID. Not sure what oversizes are available for the 320, but probably not anything over +0.060.

The 320, 352 and 374 all use the same stroke crank, so there's no help there either.

Glad to read that the piston is out, even with the brute force method. Like I said, it's gotta come out the top.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/14 8:16
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

Craig wrote:
The problem with the pneumatic or hydraulic method is that it will not remove all pistons on all cylinders. On a Packard V-8 block, only #1 & #8 cylinders are completely open on the bottom. The other six are squeezed in on one side by the main webs. You need to remove those out of the top.

I like Eric's method (chemical tank) as a step before my brute force method. But, because of EPA rules, many automotive machine shops have gone to the furnace method of removing old rust/sludge/etc.

Craig

You can push the piston down and get it moving. Then clean the rust off above the piston and push it up by hand.

The air or hydraulic method will also force oil down around the piston and allow it to move easier.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 9:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Wait a minute here. We're dealing with a 320 V8 (good point Craig !). So what kind of readily available CURRENT/recent PRODUCTION over the local discount parts store counter pistons from some other engine will fit the 320 with minimal rework to the piston?????

What is the diameter of the piston Jreeder???? If it's 4" then it's a 352 not a 320.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 9:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
It is a 4" piston. The car is a Clipper Constellation 2-dr hdt. I will take apart the oil pump tonight and get some pics. I plan on going to the olds pump (I bought the hd pump when I got the car) so if somebody wants the pump they can have it. I can bring it to hershey if that would help. I have spots in the orange field. If anybody is coming to hershey please stop by I love to talk packards. Our spots are OAH 55-57.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 9:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved