Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Frozen piston
Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
Mal, that is a 27 Model T touring with a 29 Model A frame and grill shell. I took 2" out of the grill shell. It also has a 48 AB8 Flathead and 3-spd overdrive Merc tranny. You can also see in the background my 288 52 packard and my Sun engine anayler and a murray pedal car. The dash is the one out of the 55 clipper And that is only the right side of the shop haha!

Posted on: 2010/9/14 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
If you decide to go 374", I have a complete rotating assembly: matched 374" pistons, new rings, rods, re-ground crank and front balance damper - everything race-balanced. I can set it up with a manual shift flywheel, clutch and pressure plate if you want to go that way. PM me and we can figure shipping.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/14 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/9/15 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I am not a engineer, but the pump design has issues. The shaft connecting it to the distributor is a 2 piece design with a collar. The shaft is only supported at one place, and it is just a cast support, not a bushed support. You can just imagine the spinning and wallowing out of this area. A good place for air to enter the oiling system.

Some pumps had 2 places for support, when the vacuum pump was on the fuel pump. The PI fix was based on this idea.

The fix that Bob Aller used was to install a bushing in the top cast area, and a new lower shaft. He built a testing plate with a place for a gauge to test the pressure.

I believe this is how Terrill machine repairs the pumps as well.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 21:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
jreeder41 wrote: Quote:
I will take apart the oil pump tonight and get some pics. I plan on going to the olds pump (I bought the hd pump when I got the car)

The problems with the original oil pump and "other people's fixes" are extensively discussed on this website and elsewhere. They are moot in this case.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/16 1:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved