Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: Darrin's 1954 Super Clipper Club Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And use a hard rubber mallet. Anything more than a sharp hit is too much.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 12:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
Will try that. I did have the valve covers off and my friend said all of the valves were moving but it's possible they don't have complete freedom of movement. I do have the optional hydraulic. Will that make a difference?

BTW, I retested cylinder 8 with a shot of oil and it did bump up to 35 psi. Still bad but at least not zero...

Posted on: 2010/11/7 12:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
Oh, also did a second degreasing of the engine with my high pressure washer. During this, I took off the water pump and started to spray all of the rust and gunk out. Placing the pressure washer in the heater outlet, I ran water through until it came out clear. I then added prestone super rust inhibitor through the heater outlet. When I came out this morning, I discovered the white super rust inhibitor leaking out of two freeze plugs. A tap with my finger went right through the freeze plug. I guess I will be buying these next (along with the head gasket).

Posted on: 2010/11/7 13:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Make sure to remove and check the distribution tube while you're at it and believe there is a thread on here saying the freeze plugs on some engines are a slightly oddball size--don't remember what size or which engines so check that out before buying a stock one. Parts manual says 2" but make sure it isn't a 32nd more or less.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 14:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
Today I read on the internet how to "un-yellow" old paper. The original build sheet was medium to dark brown and the only way I could read it was to hold it up to sunlight. Since this could only improve the situation, I tried it (because I wanted to get a photograph of the build sheet).

Below are the results. The first two pictures (1820-2 and 3) are while it's in solution. They're identical except for playing with the brightness, contrast, etc. The third picture (1924) is of the dry paper.

To do this, mix two tablespoonfuls of Milk of Magnesia with one quart of club soda and refrigerate the mixture. Pour it into a cookie pan and lay the paper you're working on in the solution for an hour. I notice visible results in the first ten minutes. Drain the solution and blot the paper with paper towels. If I we're to do this again, I would place a screen in the cookie pan as it was difficult removing wet, 56 year old paper from the pan and it resulted in the tears you see.

Attach file:

jpg  (149.82 KB)
3061_4cd765e9041ab.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (163.67 KB)
3061_4cd7662fcc904.jpg 1600X739 px

jpg  (129.26 KB)
3061_4cd7666f9000d.jpg 1600X739 px

Posted on: 2010/11/7 21:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
Well, three competely rusted core plugs and one like new. I'm going to guess the size is 1 61/64 (see photo).

Attach file:

jpg  (243.68 KB)
3061_4cd76e5b51b4d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/11/7 22:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nice you could find the size so visible. Maybe that one rusted out the last time and was replaced. The paper restoration is interesting. Thankfully the ink wasn't water based. Now if we could just find a reference to that one unknown item.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 22:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
So I finally had a chance to work on the car after a two week vacation with my family and a couple of rough weeks at work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pull out the delicate distribution tube? I've given it some tugs and have noticed it to be very malleable so I stopped.

I've searched the forums and have seen other postings on distribution tubes but none that seemed to give advice on how to pull a stuck tube without damage.

Suggestions welcome.

Posted on: 2010/12/5 23:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Best suggestion I can offer is gentle persuasion. The one pictured below was a steel replacement from probably decades ago and we got it out with much trouble via use of long steel rods with hooks. Assuming yours is original it will be brass so it should be in one piece, probably held in by rust and salt formation. If you haven't opened up the engine yet, a couple of good hot soaks with oxalic acid might be adviseable before starting to disassemble.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.36 KB)
177_4cfc6cb5d9e38.jpg 1161X1600 px

Posted on: 2010/12/5 23:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
It is definitely brass. Can you explain "opened up the engine"? I pan on pulling the head off next weekend. Will this give any easier access to the distribution tube? I agree that it is stuck in place with salts, etc.

I had too google oxalic acid. Would a home improvement store be the best place to purchase or somewhere else?

Thank you!

Posted on: 2010/12/6 0:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved