Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Spark plug wires-1955 V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Does anyone make spark plug wires for the 1955 V8 and no im not talking about those lousy ones where you have to attach the spark plug end and the distributor plug end. Someone must.

Posted on: 2010/10/19 19:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark plug wires-1955 V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
(Edit here in italics)As long as one is not doing a concours restoration and striving for an exact replica of the originals, there's nothing magic or special about Packard V8 spark plug wire sets, other than they're not listed in the catalogs. I've successfully used wire sets cataloged for big block Chevy 454", Ford 390", Cadillac 390" and several other old big block V8s. The bright orange Motorcraft sets I bought on a closeout did lend some color to otherwise drab engine compartments. I may have one of those left if you want it.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/10/19 19:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A related question or two.

Are there any modern sets that approximate the look of the original Packard boots? I think they had a sort of ribbed look. Lots of 135 degree sets but the universal ones seem to be a bit slimmer and smoother.

Also, what is the difference between a cable set for regular cars and one for Caribbeans? I didn't realize there were two sets but one is listed only for 55 and 5688's.

Posted on: 2010/10/19 19:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The high tension ignition sets that Dwight Heinmueller sells seem to be pretty good replicas of the originals, ribbed boots, 135 degree ends.

Just a guess on why the Carib sets are different: the coil is firewall-mounted and not on the manifold, hence the coil lead is perhaps longer. The change to the later support for the plug leads may have required a different length wire set, but it wasn't specific to the Caribbean.

Posted on: 2010/10/19 20:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
Some years ago I replaced the spark plug wires on a 1956 Caribbean I owned. I bought a "universal" set from WalMart which worked fine. The wires for the set had been purchased from the Packard Wire Division of General Motors and each wire had "Packard" on it in original Packard Motors script. It really impressed the uninformed.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Some years ago I replaced the spark plug wires on a 1956 Caribbean I owned. I bought a "universal" set from WalMart which worked fine. The wires for the set had been purchased from the Packard Wire Division of General Motors and each wire had "Packard" on it in original Packard Motors script. It really impressed the uninformed.

That's cool! Do you have a P/N? It would be neat to have it in the Xref, even with the caveat.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:54
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
Sorry no, it has been too long ago.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Thank you for your reply Im sorry I have been quite busry this week but yes I would be interested in those wires you have-right now Im running the car with a set for a ford 352 block-well the guys at the local parts store said-thats the only thing I have. the problem is two of the wires are just too short and are laying on the valve cover-iy really looks sloppy. Thank you again for your help. Michael C Wauhop

Posted on: 2010/10/23 15:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Im running the car with a set for a ford 352 block-well the guys at the local parts store said-thats the only thing I have. the problem is two of the wires are just too short and are laying on the valve cover-iy really looks sloppy.Quote:
Im running the car with a set for a ford 352 block-well the guys at the local parts store said-thats the only thing I have. the problem is two of the wires are just too short and are laying on the valve cover-iy really looks sloppy.

Here's a random suggestion. Since a new set of plug wires is in your future, just buy another set of those you have, substitute two of the longer wires for the two too-short wires.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/10/23 18:03
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Deacon Bill Ladroga
See User information
This is an excellent source for truly beautiful spark plug wires. Although Brent makes them for the 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk, they should be the same for the 1955 and 1956 Packard V-8s.

Bill

Premium quality solid core custom 56J spark plug wire sets now available. Please specify which type wire brackets you have on your 56J - early finger-type or later large grommet-type, and if you have a single or dual carburetors. Cost is $56 + $5 shipping.

Brent Hagen
6220 S.E. 55th Ave
Portland OR 97206-6800
Cell 971-219-9687 - Home 503-771-0604

Attach file:

jpg  (151.02 KB)
2038_4d1927abe83f8.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/12/27 18:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved