Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The 1952/53 Monte Carlo
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some of you older correspondents will recall, in a thread long dormant now about the postwar Packard customs, a discussion about the Monte Carlo of 1952/53 (as differentiated from the 23rd series experimental of the same name). At that time I was asked if the car still existed and where and I responded that it did but I wasn't at liberty to say where.

Those of you who follow the estate sale action may have come across an estate sale in South Carolina with many Packards for sale, one of which is the 1952 Monte Carlo. After a long, reclusive existence, it has surfaced. It's said to have been a miserable road car (inadequate body structural stability), but I suspect it will still go for very significant money.

To those of you to whom this is all new but have an interest, you might go search out that old thread - it was filled with good info on the Panther-Daytonas, Pan Americans, Request, etc. Wish I could put up a link to it, but I'll bet someone else does before I even finish my coffee.

Attach file:

jpg  (175.20 KB)
177_4cc0cd1f2d10a.jpg 1301X894 px

Posted on: 2010/10/21 18:23
 Top  Print   

Re: The 1952/53 Monte Carlo
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Owen

Is there a link to the estate sale site with photos and details of the '52 Monte Carlo sale.

I'm surprise the car had structural deficiencies, one would think they would have built the top on a convertible body structure. Was it based on a hardtop body?

Steve

Posted on: 2010/10/21 19:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From what I've heard and can't confirm, it was built on a Mayfair chassis and was only intended (as were quite a few show cars) as a showroom traffic builder, and to be destroyed thereafter.

The only link I'm aware of is the one already given in the related post "Packard Collection for Sale".

Posted on: 2010/10/21 20:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Haven't had much time for online pursuits lately, but since no one else came up with the info on the other thread...

I first brought up the topic of this Monte Carlo, back in early 2007 in a thread on Show and Concept Cars, but it got no reponse and the matter (and thread) seemed to end there.

Over a year and half later, Owen_Dyneto started a thread on the Packard Monte Carlo, which initially focused on a Monte Carlo that was based on 22nd Series car. When I asked about a later, second version, there seemed to be a lot of confusion. Packard53 (John Shireman) helped clear things up with his post:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1672&forum=2&post_id=15084#forumpost15084

...and things took off from there. Yet, discussion soon drifted off-topic to other show and custom cars, which prompted Owen_Dyneto to start a separate thread on the Postwar Coachbuilt Packards.

Those two threads generated an incredible amount of interest and participation - for months on end. Althougn there are now some gaps because a former member asked for his posts to be edeleted, these are some of the most informative discussions that you'll find on the topics anywhere online.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 9:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
It's said to have been a miserable road car (inadequate body structural stability)...

I would like to think that, between Packard and the builder (Henney), they would have had enough engineering sense to use a convertible frame and related reinforcement techniques to compensate for the structural integrity that was lost in a closed car to - what is, for all practical purposes - an open design.

However, with the front half of the roof removed, the rest of the roof would act like a parachute and had to make for terrible handling at anything above in-town speeds.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 10:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

I imagine the functional integrity of the finished car wasn't the primary consideration when the '52/'53 Monte Carlo was built, especially if it was done on a tight schedule to have something 'dazzling' to show.

The Coupe de Ville body type does seem to have the problem of how to relieve the air pressure scooped into the rear seat area at moderate speed. No doubt that affect would cause the handling to be erratic.

In contrast to the blockbuster Pan Americans, in my opinion, the '52/'53 Monte Carlo was a very pale effort: a little two-toning, a continental kit, opening the drivers' compartment of a Mayfair hardtop with B-pillars added to a body designed to remove just that feature....who came up with that? Maybe it's better than I give it credit.

In Packard's defense, they redeemed themselves with the Balboa X: a genuinely innovative top feature which could have been a great selling feature for Packard if included in the Detroit '57 line had it made it to market.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/10/22 19:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved