Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 192

curpack, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Need Help in R-11 Overdrive Troubeshooting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A good point for clarification. I always assume too much since we had progressed to weight removal. In order to check weights and drive was what I should have been specific about when suggesting jacking it up..

Posted on: 2010/11/1 12:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Thanks for hanging in there with me on this, fellas. I detected some slight interuptions with my meter when I was probing here and there verifying the ground from the pig tail to the cap's cover. I'll work in doing some cleaning on the main contact point under the cap and also the four cover holes and screws associated with the cover; then, take her down the road. I'm skeptical, but maybe...just maybe...there was enough light crud somewhere in there that was interfering with making a good ground. Stay tuned.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I do believe that your "extra" is connected to the cap-if so I would run that to a secondary ground.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 15:43
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
It works...it WORKS...IT WORKS!! My efforts at cleaning the contact point under the governor cap paid off. Using emery cloth, I got a black streak as soon as I made the first swipe of that point. I also cleaned up the screws and the top of the cap. Took her out this evening...and... SUCCESS. What a journey. But my overdrive is back to functioning like a Rolex watch! Thanks to all who chimed in during the course of this thread. And to think that this was all caused by something that has a surface area slightly greater than that of a pin head.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 18:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations! And now that you know more about governors than you ever wanted to, am sure you're ready to just lean back and enjoy the car.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 18:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved