Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955 Packard Quality
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
Out of curiosity what is the overall quality of the 55 model year? Meaning are there any particular issues to be aware of?

A little first-hand experience:

A new '55 Clipper Custom with Ultramatic. Transmission always worked, but eventually lost the lock-up torque converter. Still motored fine. Body: left rear door never worked. Stuck closed. Didn't bother to fix it due to the fact I was a little kid and sat next to this "child-protection" device. Windshield rattled in the frame almost immediately. Packard service rep told my dad; "waddaya expect with a big heavy windshield like that?" Now that's customer service.

Used '55 400: Rear windows wouldn't roll down... fixed one, left the other one alone. Took two hands to crank it up or down. Car also had a bad exhaust smell in the back seat. Heard this was a problem with bumper exhaust outlets, but never proven. Just one of those things. Transmission blew a seal, was repaired and never gave trouble again.

Oh yeah, the Clipper also had a habit of sitting with it's tail way up in the air when the T-L system was on the fritz. Manual override switch installed, and never used the automatic leveling after that.

That's about it. Really not so bad. Some glitches to watch out for.

PS: Door problems were very, very common, according to reports. Adjustments were often needed at the dealer level, but nothing terminal, unless you wanted to keep a kid inside!

Posted on: 2010/10/28 21:57
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved