Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 120

Don B, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering made tighter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
While my car is having the Ultramatic redone, I am wondering if the steering can be made tighter? My brother-in-law thinks there is some adjustment that can be made that will reduce steering wheel play... What say the experts???

Posted on: 2010/11/7 13:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering made tighter?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out the suspension and steering section of SMhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual4650/Section3.pdf The available adjustments & procedure are mentioned. Think this 46-50 is correct manual for yours but the adjustments are pretty much the same over the years.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 14:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There's an adjustment on the top of the box, just loosen the nut and use either a screwdriver or a wrench (depending on year and model, I've seen both) to tighten it to suit.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 14:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't recommend just arbitrarily tighening. You can cause internal damage to the gearbox if it's too tight - follow the shop manual instructions, or do it this way:

Jack the car to take the front wheels off the ground. Best but not essential to disconnect the steering linkage at the drag link. Carefully and slowly move then wheel back and forth over the center-point while gradually tightening the adjustment. The moment you feel any increase in effort required to pass the center point, back off a bit and lock it up. Use a fish scale on the steering wheel for extra precision.

I'm assuming you've already checked the tie rod ends, king pins, etc. and determined the slop is in the gearbox.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Yes, all the mechanicals were looked at and are in nice shape. Probably redone fairly recently. There is 'play' in the wheel in both directions of probably 6 to 8 inches. I don't want the resistance to be tighter, I want to get rid of some of the play in the wheel. I imagine some of this is just 'old car,' I remember my grandmother really "driving" (moving the wheel back and forth a LOT) an old Buick Roadmaster she had.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 18:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Paul, it's not just "old car". The free play at the steering wheel perimeter, properly adjusted should probably be in the range of 2 inches or less.

Try this observation. Crawl under and watch the steering gear box output shaft as the wheel in turned back and forth; if you can see the shaft move up and down even minutely, then try the adjustment that was outlined or that in the shop manual and let us know the outcome, please. That should make a very significant improvement, assuming the gear box itself is OK. And don't forget to check for lubricant in the gear box, SAE 90W gear oil is fine.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I will do that as soon as the car returns from the transmission shop. I thank you all again for your help!

Posted on: 2010/11/8 11:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved