Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 149

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Should I repaint my '56 Patrician another color?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dr.Stuart Schaller, PhD
See User information
I'm not particularly fond of the current (original) color scheme of Dover white over Eire green over Dover white. The interior is original and in excellent shape, except for the carpets. It is white and dark green leather, with light green brocade cloth and dark green carpet

I am thinking about replacing the Eire green witgh dark green, as I prefer darker colors. The paint is faded to the point it looks more turquoise than green..

Thoughts please...

Pictures of the car as it sits are attached...

Attach file:

jpg  (59.84 KB)
372_4775a36cb6311.jpg 706X800 px

Posted on: 2007/12/28 20:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Should I repaint my '56 Patrician another color?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Try having it clay-barred and buffed out first and then apply a good polish like Zaino brothers. After you see what it looks like polished you may like it a whole lot more. Only takes a few days and a lot cheaper than a decent paint job.

Posted on: 2007/12/28 21:02
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dr.Stuart Schaller, PhD
See User information
The passenger side rear door was obviously repainted at one time (look closely at the photo), and it is somewhat "bluer" than the rest of the car. I am planning to do a slow restoration to really nice daily driver rather than show quality condition.

Posted on: 2007/12/28 22:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I also like darker colors. The Norwegian Forest, to my mind, is very petty and being metallic has different hues in different light plus it's about as dark as it gets in 56. It would also be an option for the upholstery you have, either as a solid or another 2 tone with one of the other greens (which all look darker on the chips than your present color).

Of course, nothing says you have to stick with original colors either. Some of the greens from other years are available also. In mid 54 there was a Gulf Green Metallic made available that was quite attractive. I put that on a Pacific that I did, and while the picture doesn't do it justice, it was really quite nice.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.58 KB)
209_4775c739ca262.jpg 502X370 px

Posted on: 2007/12/28 23:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
First, i'd try Randy's advice to buff it out and polish. Then determine what u want to do based on the results.

Posted on: 2007/12/28 23:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
I like the dark green color also.You could have it green like this one

Attach file:

jpg  (25.47 KB)
63_4778ce2311f69.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2007/12/31 6:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
For what it is worth, I never liked the Packard two-tone approach on Patricians, one color on the top and the same color below the stainless steel beltline. I prefer either one color on top and another for the rest of the car, or a solid color. If you aren't happy with buffing and polishing the existing paint, try painting it a solid dark green, which is what I am planning for my 1955 Patrician. Good luck!

Posted on: 2008/1/1 13:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Funny you should bring that up, Chuck.

Two-tone paint schemes are a hallmark of '50s styling, and what I like to call the "over-and-under" approach used on the '55 and '56 Four Hundreds looks great. However, I prefer a solid-color on the Patrician. There's something very stately about a Patrician sedan in a monochromatic paint, and dark colors seem to help play down the pillars and posts.

Although I generally prefer a car be painted in its factory-orginal color scheme, I may just refinish my '56 Pat in all-black. The car was originally painted in a Dover White and Corsican Black two-tone, but someone repainted that car in a single shade of dark blue metallic decades ago. However, the finish is in terrible shape, poorly repaired in several places, and will require a complete strip and repaint.

If authenticity for judging is not a factor, I can't knock anyone for changing colors on their car - as long as the color is selected with good taste and applied with craftsmanship. Selecting a color from the palette of the same model year (or series) is usually least controversial.

I saw a '56 Caribbean convertible done in a dark blood red (a color Packard never offered in '55 or '56), two-toned with white, and hated it. Yet, that's just my opinion. To each their own.

Posted on: 2008/1/1 19:44
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
I personally hate dark green, and think the '50's cars should be painted something more festive to reflect the era. However, to each his own. But I was wondering, since I am looking to buy a Packard and chances are it will not be in a color I like, what is the general opinion on painting them a different same year Packard color? It seems that everyone keeps demanding to know the original color codes on ones that are for sale. A guy in the Imperial club had a car with a black vinyl top and black interior which could have been painted any color, yet he repainted it the same repulsive color even though he didn't like it, because that was the original color. I don't plan on winning awards with it, I am just curious if that affects its value. I know I passed on a couple that had beautiful paint jobs, but were nowhere near any original Packard color.

Posted on: 2008/2/5 14:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Fact is, when it's your name on the title, you can paint it any color you like - even with a roller.

That said, if you don't like the original paint and just gotta change colors, you'll get a lot less flack if you stick with the factory palette - IMHO. When shopping to buy a car, purists certainly will check for original colors, but there are plenty of people who shop for a car in a specific color. A lot depends on whether you're doing this for yourself or reselling the car.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. The more you personalize a car, the greater the risk of a narrower appeal; then, the law of supply and demand really kicks in.

Posted on: 2008/2/5 14:59
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved