Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
255 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 255

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Electrics
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Frankly I dont see anything wrong with the guys asking why Gary wants to change to 12v. I think it's a perception with folks new to 6v cars that they need to be "Upgraded". With Gary being in the UK I dont really see A/C as a driving reason. So it begs the question why he feels the conversion is needed.

My car is running 12v, and an alternator as I am going to be running A/C due to the heat here in the summer. But if I didn't need A/C, I would have left my car 6V. It is actually cheaper to repair the 6v system in most cases then it is to fully convert to 12v. But I don't evangelize it to everyone that asks on the subject.

Remember at it's core the website is about preserving these cars. Also making sure people have good information about them before making choices. That information should be based on fact, and not conjecture or opinion. I see a lot posts where people are playing pretty fast and lose with personal opinions that are not really grounded in fact. I've seen enough fear-mongering in the recent political ads to last a lifetime, so I really don't want to hear about it any more here when it comes to how people choose to preserve their Packards.

I posted the can of worms cause as I knew this was going to be the outcome of this thread. Unfortunately I was proved right. :(

Posted on: 2010/11/12 22:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Ah, that explains the 6v A/C!
Thanks BigKev.
I read somewhere that one of the first installations was some a retros on a couple of White House '53 or '54 Packard Limos.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 0:42
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Just to confirm once again, I don't want to change to 12 V. I just asked was I right in doing this. That's all.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 6:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Gary

A well maintained 6 volt system ( good grounds and proper size cables) with a good battery performs very well and will amaze the skeptics

Just in the process of selling a 1950 after owning it for 13 years as I bought a 1941 160. They are wonderful road cars and you will find it very reliable after you go through it

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/11/13 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Gary. Do u feel like u have a satisfactory answer to your question yet????

Your question:"I just asked was I right in doing this."
Answer: Yes.

But don't be surprised if 2 or 3 years from now u suddenly decide to either convert to 12v or maybe add an auxilary 12v system to the car. Maybe not.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 9:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I have a little invested in my 6v pos ground system and it's been as reliable as any 12v car i've owned so far. that said, if i wasn't trying to make it look somewhat period correct and interesting, i'd have a GM 12v alternator and an air compressor in there for AC SO FAST that the car would think it was 18v for a second.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes COrtcomp. I have a 48 Indian here that i've owned and operated as 6 volt for nearly 40 years and every year of those 40 years i've ridden it hard. Replaced battery every 3 to 4 years no problems.

THE PROBLEM NOW is that this year i was FORCED into a 12 volt conversion only because RELIABLE 6v batteries are NLA for this special fit application. Other 6v die hard owners i know have also converted becaue they have ran out of their NOS OR NORS 6v parts stock. They tried running reproduction 6v bulbs and found that they were only lasting for 400-500 miles of riding. (Motorcycles are extremely hi vibration vehicles). NOS and NORS 6v bulbs would last for 20K miles or more.

I didn't want to convert. I was forced into it as have many others. I want to ride the bike. Not build a glass case around it.

My 51 TO20 Ferguson is still 6 volt. So is my 56 Cushman. I currently have no plans to convert them.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 9:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Yes I now have all the answers. I will keep 6 volt ad long as I can get battery and parts. If these run out, then I will be forced to change. What are the places you get 6 volt battery and parts from ?

Posted on: 2010/11/13 12:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Napa here in the States carries them. Also they are still used heavily in agricultural machinery (tractors, etc). So I imagine they would be easy to find in the UK.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 12:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Gary,
They can still be obtained in the UK at lincon batteries near Southend and would be cheaper than the States with the postage costs
Terry

Posted on: 2010/11/13 15:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved