Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Winter is acumin in. Goddamn, goddamn, goddamn...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
To second HH56's words, Don't go directly to the motor, that's not safe. Follow the directions/schematics in the Service Counselors to install the "steep driveway kit" that goes through the limit switches (which are there for a reason) and engage the solenoids (which are rarely a problem and when they are they are easily detected and replaced) to run the motor.
Running directly to the motor is OK for a quick test, when you are right there and have eyes on what's happening.
The cars were built from to factory to be automatic, and that is what is really cool about them. It's not that hard to make the system work as it should without Hillbilly-ing it up.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks guys!
I've found and printed out the SC sections along with the schematics for which color wire goes where as well as the fuse section of the owner's manual. I've found one SFE 20 fuse in my fuse drawer so will stop for more on the way as I see they are used for more than just the T-L. This is the one time I wish I had a lap-top!
I will have someone with me to watch the back of the car for movement so with all your guidance and advice I think I'll be OK. If I run into anything I can't deal with on the spot I'll say "Tomorrow's another day", give it up and come back for more help. I mean, the idea is to get it home and make it better not blow it on the spot.
My thanks again to Randy, HH56, Mr. Pushbutton and Al for the support.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 14:15
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I strongly recommend that you DO NOT wire any remotely-mounted switch directly to the T-L compensator motor.

Engineers included solenoids to turn the T-L motor on and off for a darned good reason; just like a starter motor, the T-L compensator motor draws a lot of current. Even the factory-approved manual control switch is NOT wired directly to the motor, but is used to turn off the automatic system and manually energize either one of the two motor control solenoids - via the pink and yellow wires that HH56 noted, and through the factory limit switches that MrPushButton noted

As Randy Berger noted, one drawback of using a solenoid is if it sticks with the contacts closed. After so much time and exposure to elements, it can happen. As such, I also recommend that you install some sort of battery disconnect switch and have someone standing by to immediately stop the action in case something goes out of control.

However, know that I have used a set of jumper cables with the clamp of one wire connected to the hot post of the battery and then touched the other clamp (on the same wire) to one of the two armature terminals on the compensator motor to manually level the car when the T-L circuits are out of order.

I've yet to pull the cover off of a T-L compensator control box myself, but have heard that they are not that difficult to repair.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 18:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Gang,

I'm back from Oregon City where my '55 Packard is and it's been quite a day!
Maybe it's because I've been used to working on 70's and newer Lincolns but the starter and wiring came together so easy and fast it's almost like the car was helping.
The battery I brought with me was the wrong way of course but since we weren't trying to start it I just balanced the battery between the battery tray and power steering pump. Next came connecting the cables and the moment of truth.
In the end it was almost anti-climatic: Opened the door, hit the switch, counted to seven and up she rose!
The jack in the picture was there to lift up for jack stands in case the system didn't work.
Also, I found this little item in the trunk. It fits over the spare and has pockets for God knows what. I've never seen anything like it plus is sort of matches the fabric in the trunk not counting the carpeting that's there for protection.
ANYWAY - Its' been a great day and I thank all of you for all your help, advice and encouragement!

Attach file:

jpg  (8.20 KB)
3087_4ce08fa0be0ab.jpg 375X264 px

jpg  (10.60 KB)
3087_4ce08fba2f3ec.jpg 375X264 px

Posted on: 2010/11/14 20:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That's great! Glad to hear Packard engineering wins again. You may consider replacing the solenoids if they give you any problem, but I think you now have a workable system.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 23:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks Randy. I will consider doing the solenoids but for now absolutely re: Packard Engineering. Sits for 25 years and wakes up 100%! Wish I could say the same thing about myself.....

Posted on: 2010/11/15 0:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Winter is acumin in.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
you don't suppose we could erase the last three words of the title of this thread do you?

Posted on: 2010/11/15 9:43
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
"you don't suppose we could erase the last three words of the title of this thread do you?"

Ah me.... It's my memory of a line from a poem by Frost (or Pound?). It seemed to fit.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 16:07
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Pat

"Summer is icumin in" is the title of a 12th century round. It is the earliest the earliest known music which is harmonized in thirds, ( i.e. it sounds familiar to you and me) which makes it pretty important when your'e taking the first semester of music history.

Regardless whether or not your choice of words is appropriate, I agree with the sentiment

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/11/15 20:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved