Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Battery
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For my '54 I bought a Sears Die-Hard battery which comes in a black case, and does not have the molded in side handles. I just peeled the diehard sticker off the top of it, and put it on the side that faces the fender. Expect for the post locations, it looks like a plain non-descript period battery.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Dave, where did you get the Willard sticker? Can we get a picture of what it looks like on your battery?

Posted on: 2010/11/30 12:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, when I bought one of the Group 60 Boutique batteries from Antique Auto Battery or whomever, it came with several stickers, Willard and Delco as I remember and a couple of extras were included. I just applied it to the Interstate, shown in the picture. The Group 29 (sprayed black) required a longer ground strap due to the post positions, and I fabricated a new hold-down to fit the dimensions.

Am I totally satisfied with it? No, but I refuse to pay the $300 or more for an Optima concealed in a dummy Group 60 box, and my lousy luck with the boutique batteries in general precludes that option again. It's a nice car, not a show car, and I'll just live with it.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.86 KB)
177_4cf53de14d05e.jpg 1050X693 px

Posted on: 2010/11/30 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Craig, HH56, Jerry, Owen, PackarV8, BigKev and all; thank you so very much for your insight into batteries and the thread in previous forums. I now feel like I've got some talking points in my search.
Gary, I was cruising through Harbor Freight the other day and noticed they have several 6/12 Battery Chargers. I've got a great charger that has paid for itself in gold many times over during the last 20 years but, alas, doesn't do 6v. Since I also have a '51 Packard, I'm going to be in the market for a new charger myself. I don't recall what the HF charger price was except it struck me as very low! Whether it is also "cheap" is another question. I've bought my share of HF merchandise the last being a rubber mallet (my '55s wheel covers were in a box" along with new rear bumper ends) on Saturday. For something potentially dangerous like "electricity" I don't know if I'd go HF. The Sears charger sound like a winner.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 13:35
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
If I remember correct then a company in California made vintage car battery replicas. My frend both a Delco replica battery for his 1953 Cadillac and it was about 490 bucks back in 2007. Maybe this information is helpfull.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 14:52
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you, Hardtop, I'll see if I can't find them online.
I appreciate your help!

Posted on: 2010/11/30 17:08
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information

Posted on: 2010/11/30 17:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
So what your saying is terry, when project car arrives over from america to uk, i need to put a english 6 volt battery in? because american battery wont work with english battery charger' correct? unless of course i got a american battery charger, and bring it in with project car. As its an american car, i'm just wondering weather the american battery is better suited than the english one? Any members used both? or no difference between the two?

Once again, sorry for my amature like questions, but complete amature is what i am. Perhaps you can remember asking such questions when you first began.

Thats why forum like this is fantastic. Both amature and professional sharing knowledge and helping each other. Even old dogs can learn new tricks.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 17:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
UK and US batteries are no different. Only difference would be the actual charger based on the US vs. UK wall (mains) voltage. You wouldn't use a US 110v charger on UK 220 mains.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 17:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information

Posted on: 2010/11/30 18:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on which car you are getting. 46-50 and a couple of others need one that looks like this. You also need a size that will fit in the battery holder.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.30 KB)
209_4cf58bfdabea0.jpg 373X249 px

Posted on: 2010/11/30 18:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved