Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 242

humanpotatohybrid, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Packard versus the Rest
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I drive my 1950 Packard at 60 to 65 mph. The recently rebuilt Ultramatic does shift into a locked up mode. I have Diamondback radial tires with the stock 29 inch diameter. The rear axle ratio is the stock 3.9 (I just put in a new gear set). At this speed in the slow lane I keep up with the trucks and get run over in any other lane by the typical cars. In San Diego the average freeway speed is about 75 mph.

Obviously I did not buy a Packard for gas mileage (I have 2 Morris Minors for that purpose). I intend to rebuild and tune the Packard carburetor after I get my rebuilt distributor back from Chirco. The car runs rich because you can see carbon on the outside of the chrome exhaust tip.

I will report back once I get all tuning done and let you know what the results are.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 10:36
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Here is a twist on this thread....a 1954 Packard versus the OTHER cars that sit outside for 23 years. The videos are crude, but not lengthy and by #5, it runs under its own power!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxaar3b-2pI&feature=related

Posted on: 2010/12/9 15:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for posting, that was worthwhile. What I found particularly interesting once it finally started was how quickly the (apparently) sticking valves seemed to free themselves.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 15:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
and it smokes less than my car!

Posted on: 2010/12/9 17:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I notice they did not appear to follow our usual recommendations for checking out a car that has been sitting. That oil looked as black as the day it came out of the ground.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved