Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 116

Todd W. White, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Projects
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Gary

A Packard meet in the Chicago area? How about next year? The Packard Club's 46th National Meet will be held in the Galena Territories, Illinois and Dubuque, Iowa, July 11-15,2011.
http://www.packardclub.org/
Look in Meet News.

Not only will you be able to visit your family but have a great time at the Packard meet, sound like a win-win to me!

All the heretofore advice about projects versus buying the best car you can afford is spot-on! I'll add to that, set your sights to acquire the best model in the years of your interest as your first choice. I note you are considering 1948-50 22nd & 23rd series models. Fortunately for you, those cars are still in long supply here,especially the four door sedans. If you don't have to have a convertible, set your sights on the Custom 8 sedan. It is the best combination of all the finest qualities Packard built at the time. Closely following would be a '49-'50 Super Deluxe Eight. Both have the 127" wheelbase, torquey and powerful engines, wonderfully luxurious upholstery and trim, and best of all, imposing presence.

The bulk of the US collectors still are trying to satisfy their adolescent fantasies with their choice of muscle cars; ergo completely ignore sterling automobiles like these Packards, resulting in reasonable prices for the great quality car your money can buy.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/12/9 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
With the 54th series, in this case the conv coupe, the Packard ivory color would look best in either tan or black convertible tops!!!
As with older Packard cars. Where members use the 4EH Tractor Battery, is this the same used on the 54 conv coupe? Is Engine color still Gray? Or in 54 did color change?

Posted on: 2010/12/9 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You might consider this color combination. It is a strikingly beautiful car.

(o{I}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (56.38 KB)
565_4d00f7f09168d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/12/9 10:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, it's a lovely eyeful, though I don't know about the correctness of the top color. I guess the owner wasn't pleased that the cormorant folded her wings in 1954. If we had an OSHA back then, they would have been pleased but many owners weren't.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 10:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gary, the Pacific is a hardtop. Basically what they called the Mayfair in '54. The 'Standard' Convertible Coupe, and Caribbean Convertible Coupe both were senior models in '54 an as such has 359 motors which were painted bronze.

The '54 Caribbean, I believe, left the factory line as a normal Convertible Coupe body, and then had Caribbean bodywork done, and specially trim outfitted offsite.

I actually like the Standard Convertible over the Caribbean. But thats just my preference.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 12:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Yes very striking car. I like it. What were the origional convertible top color?
I agree, standard is nicer. What battery does this coupe take?

Posted on: 2010/12/9 14:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the convertible tops for 1954 were offered in tan, black, green and white, but check the parts book to be sure. Battery was a Group 2, 6-volt of course.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Says Body No 5479 Available Interiors are Red or Black Genuine Leather. Or Black and Red combined, or Red and Ivory, Black and Ivory, or Dark Green and Light Green.

I know the Carribean had two tone colors on its body, but did the coupe also have two tone if desired?

Posted on: 2010/12/9 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Gary, the Pacific is a hardtop. Basically what they called the Mayfair in '54. The 'Standard' Convertible Coupe, and Caribbean Convertible Coupe both were senior models in '54 an as such has 359 motors which were painted bronze.

The '54 Caribbean, I believe, left the factory line as a normal Convertible Coupe body, and then had Caribbean bodywork done, and specially trim outfitted offsite.

I actually like the Standard Convertible over the Caribbean. But thats just my preference.

Actually, the Pacific HT is a senior 400 or Packard line model with the 359 engine and the senior tail lights, trim etc. As I recall, the Mayfairs were in the 300 series, one step below the seniors.

I agree that the 54 400 conv is "cleaner" looking than the 54 Carib, however I'll take the Carib in 53. Interestingly, the extra bits of trim and two-tone paint added about $2000 to the price of a Carib over a 5479 conv. Essentially the two cars were identical save for the few trim pieces and interior. $2000 was a good chunk of change back then....that would buy a whole new Chevy or Ford.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 20:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes you are correct in '53 the Mayfair was a '300. But that changed in '54 when it was renamed the Pacific and giving the '400 senior line motor. Also in '53 the Caribbean was a 250 car, and wasn't considered a senior model like it was in '54.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 20:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved