Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 137

jcl, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Projects
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
In 1951 and 52 Mayfairs were considered to be 250's.
I never heard the term Mayfair until several years after we bought the '52. We always referred to it as a "250".
Probably picked up that terminology from the dealer.

Although it states 1952 Packard "250" Mayfair on the original envelope that the car title and bill of sale were delivered to my parents. I'll have to post that envelope.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.00 KB)
23_4d019a00d49a7.jpg 1415X619 px

Posted on: 2010/12/9 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Saw this link, says it can increase your MPG, would any of you consider using such a device ? Or never.

http://www.ecoflow.com/motoflow-cat-3-subcat-19-product-44

Posted on: 2010/12/10 0:35
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gary, I think your mileage would be better if you just sent me the money. Those are just automotive quackery.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 1:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
This device is even more preposterous than fuel additives which claim improved performance. I support R&D at an Army ground vehicle research facility, and I have lost count of the number of companies that have approached us offering their performance-enhancing products and claiming significant improvements in horsepower and fuel efficiency simply by pouring 8 oz of their snake oil into a vehicle's fuel tank.

The U.S. Army recognizes the potential of additives to impart desired qualities to improve products we use. This is based on the fact that additives are routinely used in lubricants and fuels as cetane improvers, anti-oxidants,
and anti-wear agents. However, the blending of additives in products is a careful balancing act to ensure the product performs as desired and doesn't adversely affect the
benefits of other properties, or reduce the system reliability in other areas. Tossing an additive into an already formulated product can throw off this balance and needs to be verified before implementing. Unfortunately,
there is no single quick and easy test to verify whether the additive has the claimed benefits or if there are any adverse effects elsewhere. When we have asked these companies selling these additives for their industry-accepted data/reports supporting their claims, they NEVER seem to be able to cough them up. Rather, they rely on testimonials or very questionable science. Then they have the audacity to suggest that the Army pay for testing them!

I should note that the EPA requires any additive intended to be used as a fuel additive to be registered with them. This registration is needed to verify the additive product only contains chemicals already present in the fuel. EPA registration is not a validation of the improvements or benefits claimed on the product.

Can you tell I have something against additives?

Dave

Posted on: 2010/12/10 10:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I remember in the 50's that we could buy a gadget that went inline with the coil wire to "supercharge the spark for better mileage" and then a turbo wheel which was a little tiny propeller mounted under the carb that spun with air flow to "super atomize the gas and precharge the cylinders" for better mileage and more power--until the tiny rivet holding the propeller wore off, letting it charge the cylinders in another way.

So, having said that, magnets were also used then and this is the type magnet we use here.http://www.xump.com/science/3inAlnicoCowMagnet.cfm?SID=12 . For ?55 you can buy considerably more of these--enough to place them every few inches along the fuel line. Wrap in green duct tape instead of the green plastic, and by the time the fuel gets to the carb, it will be self replicating and you will never have to fill up again.

Hey, that sounds good...Maybe we should go in business. Might even get a quantity discount on the magnets.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 11:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another gimmick I recall was the "Hydro-catalyst", an alleged platinum screen and gasket that replaced the gasket beneath the carburetor. We had a couple of suckers at work who bought these things, (a) it wasn't platinum, and (b) it didn't increase gas mileage - much to almost no one's surprise.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
P.T. Barnum was right..."There's a sucker born every minute."

Posted on: 2010/12/10 16:10
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Seems we have these rubbish gimmicks on both sides of the pond. I'm not really interested in MPG with regards to Classic Cars, I just love Old Cars. Dam sure there will be one sucker out there who believes this tosh.

Going back to Projects, have any of you used that Miracle Paint Rust Killer they are now selling? This more gimmicks or actually works? Just wondered because I think its www.hirschauto.com selling it.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 16:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've no personal experience with it, but if Bill Hirsch is selling it, I doubt very much that it's a gimmick, Bill's reputation is excellent and I'm sure the product has some merit. But on the other hand don't expect miracles in a can or jar.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The paint is based on reacting with iron oxide to stabilize it

Posted on: 2010/12/10 17:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved