Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 222

Phat Jonny, humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 6 cyl in a 55...another wacky idea?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Anything will fit if you have a big enough hammer. But it would be a lot easier on a 1954 or earlier.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 12:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A quick, rough measurement on a 5688, cowl to radiator core is about 36.5 inches.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Thanks Dave, now I just need to find a 6 cyl to measure. As Kev mentioned, the altered firewall in the '55 was my chief concern. Also not sure how the engine mounts might be addressed.

I'd consider a '54 if I crossed paths with the right one, that would avoid the whole length problem, but I think I like the appearance of the '55s front and interior better. I'd also considered doing a straight 8 in a '55 but concluded the 6 would be a better fit and powerful enough for my modest needs.

This project is a reaction to owning a '56 Pat and Clipper with problematic V8s and automatics. While I know they can be made to work, I'm pretty tired of dealing with the issues. It was/is, imo, a highly flawed design that helped to bring the Co.s reputation down. I believe the Co. should have had a conseratively engineered 6 cyl economy model in '55 to hedge their bets with the all new drivetrain. I like a challenge, doing this will be pretty unique in the Packard world, and being retired I have the time, if not the knowledge. I'd only do this with a car whose engine was already toast.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 9:39
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 6 cylinder is 28" long from the front of the bellhousing to the front of the block. Add another 4 or 5 inches for the timing cover and vibration damper.

By comparison, the same measurement for the 288/327/356 blocks is 36"

Posted on: 2010/12/22 13:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
You know Randerson, if you REALLY want to blow peoples minds, you should try to put a TWIN-SIX into a '55 Packard.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
That would do it, no doubt! But 6s are dirt cheap, which I assume is not the case with a Twin Six, however if I could pick one up for a few hundred, I'd go for that for sure!

What would also be amazing would be an ohv V-12 made from a V8. I gather the factory was experimenting with that briefly before the end... sounds like a project for Jack!

Thanks for the measurement on the Six block, it sounds like Kevin is right, it should fit in that case.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Very intersting discussion and I can see why you would want to do such a project. Rolls was still using 6 cylinder engines in the mid-50s so the idea has some company.

Maybe the Packard Six belongs in a mid-50s Studebaker. Packard could have shuttered the Studebaker engine plant completely as step 1 to bringing Studebaker production to EGB's second assembly line. Might have kept Packard going a little longer. But that assumes Conner had never happened. Which assumes the Hotpoint Team had never happened. I just saw Somewhere In Time the other day with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. Maybe one of us should lay in bed and focus on traveling back to Detroit circa early 1950s.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Okay, my suggestion for a Caddy V-4-6-8 suggestion went over like a ... well, Caddy V-4-6-8. I won't take the rejection personally. Here is another suggestion: A 270 cu. in. GMC 6-cylinder engine. If my memory is correct, it will bolt up to the pre-'55 Packard transmission without an adaptor. Also, it is a full oil pressure engine, unlike its Chevy Stovebolt cousin. Should not be too hard to find one, and parts should be easy to come by.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/23 11:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Well aware of the V8-6-4's deficiencies, a lemon if there ever was one. Almost as bad as the 4100 alum V8. Not Cad's finest hour... the GMC 6 is a good engine, but not a Packard! And since Packard 6s are relatively plentiful and not all that expensive, why not keep it all in the family? That's the major point of the whole exercise... the Best or Nothing, as another well known company has been known to say.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Agreed, if this is the route you want to go, go for it.

(o[I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/23 16:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved