Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 90

Bob J, Jimmyk, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Torque converter rebuild question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Ongoing are the Ultramatic blues!! The transmission shop told me today that my torque converter needs to be rebuilt. They said that my 1950 Super DeLuxe 8 has a type that Kanter doesn't have parts for... Does anyone here have a contact for me to send the torque converter to for a rebuild?? I was also told that Peter Fitch at Ultramatic Dynamics may or may not have what is needed to redo this thing. Help, I want my car back...

Posted on: 2010/12/28 21:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Torque converter rebuild question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If he doesn't check in soon, check out cortcomps projecthttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=63214#forumpost63214 blog for ideas. Believe he is going thru exactly what you are with same trans and has had some success.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 21:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks, I had read that and have sent Cortcomp a pm as he stated in the thread. I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Posted on: 2010/12/28 21:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
try contacting Packards1 here,he has a new (nos) unit, his may be for a V-8 car, and i'm not sure that will work in a 1950 model.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 22:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
try contacting Packards1 here,he has a new (nos) unit, his may be for a V-8 car, and i'm not sure that will work in a 1950 model.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Any 49-54 non gear-start converter will fit your car. The later ones are actually better as they are more efficient than the earlier ones, and have greater torque multiplication for better performance.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 6:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks to one and all!! My torque converter will be shipped to cortcomp's guy in Ohio the first of next week. I will let everyone know how this works out, seems like a really good guy!

Posted on: 2010/12/29 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Wellllllllll, that was the plan... My transmission shop called today and explained that it is more than a rebuild. The back portion of the converter case where the "fins" are is all chewed up and will need replacing. It seems I will need a torque converter either already rebuilt or to be rebuilt. Peter Fitch was called and he wasn't sure if he had the needed parts or not.

Two questions:

1. Will other year's torque converters fit an 'early' 1950 Ultramatic? If so, which years?

2. Does anyone have a source for this part? Or, does anyone have one lying around that could be for sale?

This seems like it won't end, but I know it will. I have to say that this site has literally been a lifeline for my car. Thanks in advance guys.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 21:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ross mentioned that any 49-54 regular converter would fit and parts manual would seem to confirm. Aside from direct drive related items, most of the other detail parts are the same.

I believe the difference was primarily the direct drive clutch. The early ones had a large clutch plate and splined pressure piston, then slightly smaller clutch and finally the 9". Early ones were sometimes prone to hanging when the pressure plate would stick in the splines as was mentioned in one of the bulletins. The entire design was changed to a non splined piston and the 9" plate to eliminate that issue and provide a couple of other advantages at the same time.

If you do want the same, then according to parts, 23 and 24th series used the same converter assy. Sometime in 25th series the changeover was made.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 21:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
So does that rule out the 25th series torque converters, or are they just different but usable?

Posted on: 2010/12/31 1:53
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved