Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Torque converter rebuild question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Usable. According to manual it appears some 25th may have had the older 11" style and then the 9" came along for all. The only years that absolutely used the 11 was 50-51 which is why I just mentioned those when looking for the original style replacement.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 2:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Still looking for a torque converter, anyone have any ideas??

Posted on: 2010/12/31 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Anyone know if the part number 423430 will work on my car? Might have found one...but that is the part number.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 12:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
423430 is the 52, 53, 54 non gear start so according to Ross it will.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.00 KB)
209_4d1e24abab2b5.jpg 712X86 px

Posted on: 2010/12/31 13:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Source may also have the exact converter as well. Any of you have any thoughts as to which would be better, exact or the later type? Some say that the later ones transfer power more efficiently... I like the idea of extra power, though I am okay the way it is too.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
No one has an opinion??!! It must be a holiday or something, because normally EVERYONE has an opinion here! Come on, exact or a later version?

Posted on: 2010/12/31 18:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Need Ross to to chime in again.

There are some significant advantages to the new. I was going to post Packards reasons for the change and what they said the advantages of the new design were when I noticed a statement which needs clarification. They had mentioned some of the last 51 cars had the new converter but because of a vendor strike some 52s had to be equipped temporarily with the old converters again.

Those so equipped with the old converters were also equipped "with a service flywheel that will take either the 9 or 11?" converter assy". Think there is no question the converter will work--just need to find out if your flywheel needs to change to take the newer. I think there may be an issue with the drain plugs which were also relocated..

Posted on: 2010/12/31 18:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Uhh ohhh, I hope that isn't the case. Seems to me that the flywheel mentioned might be as rare as hen's teeth!!

Posted on: 2010/12/31 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
So does anyone here know if i would need some sort of adapter to use the later torque converter?

Posted on: 2011/1/2 13:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think if anything it would be the flywheel. The same one was available to be used on Ultra cars 23 thru 54. I think I would get whichever converter you can and have the shop compare with your old to see what the differences might be. If there are some, then a flywheel from a later car would be lots easier to find than the converter. Here is what Packard had to say on the new converter.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.13 KB)
209_4d20e4e853a78.jpg 1098X777 px

Posted on: 2011/1/2 15:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved