Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

valve cover color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dummy's question. What color are the 56 valve covers? All mine are chrome except Pat. They are engine bronze with red lettering. Just happened to notice that detail.

Posted on: 2011/1/8 0:20
 Top  Print   

Re: valve cover color
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
There are several different possibilities. '56 Packard? If so, which model? The '56 Seniors with the 374" I've seen were bronze. '56 Hudson, Nash? '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk was silver with red/yellow/black decal.

Those other guys we don't talk about say:
Quote:
Packards International has started to prepare a full Packard Detail and Judging Guide. This guide covers the basic judging rules used by PI, with each category discussed in detail. The Guide will be supplemented as sections are completed. Currently the engine room section is over 50 pages. At this years PI Membership Meet the detail guide was used at a seminar and we have received so many calls asking for copies, that PI will offer this information in a three ring notebook for only $17.00 to it's members-postage included.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/1/8 1:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

Unless equipped with the optional/accessory, chrome-plated, Packard valve covers, they were to be painted in silver, with the top of embossed script painted red, on all 1956 Packard and Clipper models.

Yet, there are many shades and finishes of "silver". Anyone have a good recommendation for a paint that is the best match to the original?

Posted on: 2011/1/8 11:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Jack, I should have been more explicit. I recently purchased a 56 PATrician. The valve covers are bronze with the word "PACKARD" in red. It didn't look right, so I asked.
Both my other 56 Packards have chrome valve covers, so looking at them does me no good. If someone painted the ones on the Pat they did a nice job of either leaving the red lettering alone or repainting the red also.

Posted on: 2011/1/8 15:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Took two pics today - waddya think?

Attach file:

jpg  (148.70 KB)
23_4d2ca7a310cc7.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (173.69 KB)
23_4d2ca7b59a50a.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/1/11 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
BH has the right advice on the color of the valve covers.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 14:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Looking at the PI manual I agree, but it seems a little odd that someone would repaint these covers and leave the red so nicely original. I have tried to paint the red on my chrome covers and it is no easy job.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Randy,

Your Patrician does have some interesting features.

I was looking at youtube and saw this and thought of your valve cover question.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuFgNI8uHfw

Posted on: 2011/1/11 19:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Mike, i was actually bidding on a complete dual carb setup w/ manifold and breather about 6 months ago, but it got too high for me and i didn't know i was going to be doing what i am doing now to my motor. if i had known then i would have raised my bid. LOL

i wonder if this guy is running the TU though?

also there is a set of complete red valve covers on ebay right now. i haven't been following this thread, but i thought i would mention they were on there.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/1/11 19:30
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I saw the Clipper at Gettysburg, where the youtube was made. It is a standard tranny with a deep rearend. 4.88 is not a Packard rearend listed in the manual. He cranked it up with the plugs removed on the exhaust. It IS healthy. I remember reading about this car back in the day.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 20:04
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved