Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 237

BigKev, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Starter drag?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I noticed after putting the starter from my 53 327 into the hole (the starter is from the 53, the flywheel housing and flywheel and converter is from the 50) and buttoning up and spinning the motor around to tighten the flywheel bolts, that the flywheel is dragging on the starter teeth, making a clicking noise as i rotate. I don't recall the old starter doing that as i rotated, and they both appear to be the same in all regards, except the 53 is externally nicer.

I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

There was no noise with the same flywheel and converter and flywheel housing, only the starter has changed in that area.

Is there a difference between them or something i should look at while i have the engine out and it's easier to get the starter off the block?

Posted on: 2011/1/9 20:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter drag?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Maybe the Bendix is stuck and the gear is not retracting. Turning the flywheel should push it back. You will need to take it off and check it.

Do not spray it with WD40 or penetrating oil, it will just gum up again.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It's probably an alignment problem. be sure that the starter is mating FLUSH with it's mounting surface. NO dirt or other obstruction under it.

Try just slightly loosening the bolts and take up any slop between bolt holes and bolts holding the starter AWAY from the engine as far as possible when tightening the bolts. Won;t get much. See if that imroves it.

Mite have to place a 0.005" shim under the outer most bolt to cock the starter gear a little bit away from the ring gear. Don;t use a standard washer. IT 's way too thick. Going much more than 0.005 shim runs the risk of breaking off the starter mounting ears when tightening the bolts.

U'll just have to inspect it to see which way the starter needs to move. Personaly, i'd go back to the old starter if it worked ok. Rebuild the other starter if necessary.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 22:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Maybe just change the bendix housing end of the starter to the housing from the old starter that did work ok.

Check the bushing in the gear enfd of the NEW starter to be sure it's not worn out. Those are real ez to replace. OR use the old housing if the bushing is good in it.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 22:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I really hate to use the old starter as it looks terrible. I'll post pics later, but i wouldn't mine swapping the bending end. I'll try putting it in straight and having someone hold it while i tighten the bolts, that's likely the culprit as i was kind of working bent over wiggling around while i worked. The teeth on the starter did have some wear on the end, so i'm wondering if the previous owner didn't have some of the same trouble with it. I'll report back later.

Thanks all!

Posted on: 2011/1/10 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If the bendix gear on the starter is worn then the entire starter is probably worn. They're easy to rebuild and clean up. 2wo bushings, 2 to 4 armature brushes and a new bendix gear and some paint will make them like new. Of course that ssumes the field coils and armature are still good. Usualy they are. Starters are real tough units, they have to be. Only about 1 out of 10 that i've had show bad armature or field coils. In that case u have 2wo starters. Take two and make one.

Easy to do. Just follow the service manual. Only special process is 'turning' ie cleaniung up the commutator on the armature. Read the service manual. Some of those parts are probably still avalable at a local autoparts strore.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Would point out that a 53 has a "follow-thru" starter drive--that is the drive gear will not retract until the engine starts and flings it back. If the last attempt to start the 53 failed, then the gear will not be in the home position and you will hear it as you turn the engine by hand. But once that puppy starts you better not hear it. I cant think of any conceivable way to install the starter incorrectly so would rest easy on that front.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 13:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Ross,

That's interesting...since the motor is on the floor, can i push it "home" with a screwdriver or something to test that theory? Again, the motor supposedly ran and worked, so i'm only expecting trouble with things that i put my fingers into, not things left well enough alone

Posted on: 2011/1/10 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Ross nailed it...after rolling over and firing you don't hear anything. I'll let it fire tomorrow then shut it off, then run it by hand and listen for the starter clicking-dragging-ratcheting noise.

Rolled it over and it fired right up by gravity feeding the carb and it got oil pressure right away, but i only ran it for a split second (still more stuff to button up.)

Now on to the fuel pump...no matter what side i try or which side i hook a combination vacuum pressure gauge to i don't get any reading, which is strange because it's supposed to be a working pump. I tried funneling gas down into what i believe is the inlet, hoping to prime it but it didn't seem to make a difference. No fuel coming through it at all.

Posted on: 2011/1/17 21:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Pump doesn't usually need priming. There is a screen in the bottom I've seen clogged with rust particles or one of the valves could be stuck or hardened and deformed from sitting so it can't seal. Don't know how long the car has been idle, but have seen both on sitting pumps. Any chance the pump was bolted on so lever is on wrong side of cam? How about old rubber meeting new alcohol.

Posted on: 2011/1/17 21:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved