Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

Todd W. White, Peter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard fuel injection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Interesting that Bosch was involved at this early date. Bosch made the system for the 1968 VW Type 3, first production car to have EFI.

I always thought Bendix made the system Chrysler and AMC experimented with in the fifties.

Posted on: 2011/1/15 18:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Chevy had FI in the '50, right? I believe it was first an option on the V8s? Was that a Bosch system, too? A bit OT, but maybe worth comparing. There were aviation FI systems before electronics as well. Seem to recall that hot starting was very difficult with them.

Posted on: 2011/1/15 22:33
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I have found no reference to what RC or HR consists of in anything I have

Posted on: 2011/1/16 10:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I believe that the Rochester Ramjet mechanical-type FI was first available, as an option, on the '57 Chevy BelAir and Corvette 283-V8, but also used on a special edition of the 1957-58 Pontiac Bonneville. Beyond that, it was used strictly on Corvette through 1962. I've heard that system was a real PITA to tune and a lot of these Rochester systems were removed, in favor of a carbureted set-up - only for the FI to be returned by many restorers.

The Bendix Electrojector FI system (a design that was adapted from an aircraft type) should be considered EFI as it had a transistorized control unit. It was offered by Chrysler Corp., as an option, on select 1958 prodcution models. However, because of trouble with the electronics in actual use, that system was soon withdrawn from production and all vehicles built with that option were campaigned and refitted with dual-quad carburetor set-ups. Yet, I seem to recall that one '58 DeSoto that had originally been built with FI has had an original Electrojector system reinstalled as part of its restoration.

Bendix was also the supplier of the (analog) EFI system used on the Cosworth Vega, but I've heard that some of its technology was borrowed from Bosch.

I've been fascinated with the prospect of fuel injection on the V8 Packards ever since 1976, when I first laid eyes on that top-down view in a 1976 issue of Special Interest Autos (credited to Roscoe). Though a mechanical system, the general appearance/layout of the Packard FI came to mind again, when the multi-port EFI systems of the 1980s came along. With evaluation work still going on through 1955, I'm not sure if it would have been ready for 1956 production, but I often think of what a magnificent addition that FI system would have been for the intended 1957-58 Packard-Clipper line, if only the Fates would have been more kind.

Posted on: 2011/1/16 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
letter from American Bosch and Delco-Remy

Attach file:

jpg  (100.28 KB)
1052_4d331ddfd88f3.jpg 930X1280 px

jpg  (96.48 KB)
1052_4d331df93b9b5.jpg 953X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/1/16 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
Suppliers of Fuel Injection systems

Attach file:

jpg  (110.64 KB)
1052_4d331e78a4a75.jpg 1000X1280 px

jpg  (114.22 KB)
1052_4d331e89a4ae6.jpg 1000X1280 px

jpg  (113.92 KB)
1052_4d331ea11eb02.jpg 1000X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/1/16 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
56Executive: thanks again for posting interesting documentation about the Packard fuel injection "advanced project". It is apparent that automotive gasoline fuel injection systems were "bleeding edge" tech at the time. Per the documentation, Packard and others were testing timed, intermittent flow setups, whereas Pontiac and Chevrolet used continuous flow designs.

The timed intermittent flow designs were superior, but as noted in the documentation, more complex and costly than the continuous flow designs. Pontiac and Chevy's continuous flow types made it onto production cars although in actual use most of these were removed in favor of (multiple) carburetor setups, particularly drag racing.

I have seen and inspected both the 1957 and 1958 Pontiac FI. The most obvious difference is that the 1957 manifold was fabricated out of sheet metal and the 1958 is a cast aluminum piece. Both manifolds were tall, individual runner types with the FI mechanicals "hidden" under the plenum between the runners. Maybe this was done by Pontiac in order to rush it into production or maybe the initial low production numbers did not justify a casting run. BTW, the 1957 347CID FI engine was about 295HP, but was rated at 310HP, the same as the 1958 370CID FI engine.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/1/16 12:50
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved