Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 186

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

CLEAR HOSE
Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I need help. I found a small clear hose tucked under some wires on the fire wall. It's about a 1/8" clear. I followed it down and it feels like it's on top of the transmission? If so were does it go ? What is it for? 1953 Patrician.
Thank You

also does anyone have part # for rear trans seal by drive shaft.

Posted on: 2011/1/18 19:57
 Top  Print   

Re: CLEAR HOSE
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard part number for seal is 333546. Maxhttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com/ says it is used back to 39 on various transmissions so should be easily available from vendors. He lists that number and then one with an R after the part number for considerably less $. Maybe a repro or modern replacement. I don't have a modern cross number but maybe someone else does.

I can't think of any clear tube Packard used and not sure clear was even available then. The only 1/8" I can think of offhand used in 53 was black and under the dash. Ran from a tee fitting at the end of a 1/4" hose to each windshield washer jet.

Posted on: 2011/1/18 20:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I'm sure someone put this hose on but it seems to run from top of the trans to the firewall ,don't know what it is.
Also I am trying to find part # for seal to buy locally, Did not want to take it out first .
Thank You

Posted on: 2011/1/18 22:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know any way to work the hose question other than crawl under and trace it.

There is no factory opening on trans, engine or anything in that back trans area I can think of that hose would attach to. There are some oil gallery ports on the passenger side of engine that possibly could have had an oil gauge attached & a line that small might have been some kind of gauge or oil line.

Can you tell where the end on firewall is (was) going? Does it go into interior? Any empty screw holes like there might have been some kind of oil additive apparatus at one time to manifold?

Posted on: 2011/1/18 22:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Mite help if we knew automatic or stick and approximate diameter of hose. Overdrive???? Are u seure it goes to teh top of trans???

Posted on: 2011/1/18 22:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. i see that it is a 1/8" hose. That rules out a remote fill modification that someone added to the car for easy filling of the trans.

Using lung power blow back thru the hose to determine where t exhausts.

Most likely it is some kind of vent tube added to the trans for some reason of earlier life use to vent trans a long way away from any water splashing, a snorkel. See if there is one on the rear axle too.

The seal after it is removed should (tho not necessarily) have a number on it. If it is NOT a Packard number then that number can be used to find a replacement at a local auto parts store.

NOTE that one of the vendors supply a seal Suffixed with an "R" ???? The "R" number seal is probably for "Replacement". I'm guessing that it is a recessed or extended lip seal for replacement on grooved shafts due to wear. Such seals are fairly new to the trade (over last 20 years or less).

Posted on: 2011/1/18 22:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Clear plastic hose was available from the mid fifties on. It was never used as OEM equipment on any car because it was not durable enough.

It could have been added to the car at any time during its life. But the older it gets, the more it shrinks, hardens and turns yellow. If it was under there since 1953 it would look like a piece of uncooked spaghetti and be cracking to pieces. If it has any resilience left at all it was probably put on in the last 5 years. If it is in a hot area or in contact with gas it will be hard as a rock in a year.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 19:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved