Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 133

humanpotatohybrid, Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Temp sending Unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
Does anyone know a cross reference no for Packard Part # 439368 Temperature sending unit for 1953 Thank You

Posted on: 2011/1/22 16:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Temp sending Unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Curiously, do all temp senders work with all gauges around that time, like 48-54? The 50 temp sender was too big to fit in the threaded hole on the head of the 53 motor, used the 53 temp sender.

If they won't, maybe i'll have to get an adapter and have will have a spare used 53 sender for walkerman.

Posted on: 2011/1/22 16:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
48-50---#403053
51-52---#416281
53-54---#439368
Looking for new # for any of these so we can post them in cross reference chart

Posted on: 2011/1/22 17:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
51-6 temp senders are pretty much interchangeable electrically. They will all need a resistance of approx 10 ohms hot and around 80 ohms cold. One Packard vendor sells one temp sender and has it labeled 51-6. There may be a bit of variation at the hot end which probably explains the different numbers 51-2 and 53-4 Packard did have an issue with reading hot on some cars and did some fine tuning with a resistor first and then a "recalibrated" sender.

One poster has given a Standard Motor TS4 as an interchange for 55-6. That appears to be a rather generic number but in looking, it should cross to the Echlin TS6464 and another slightly less expensive sender from Mileage Plus --both available at Napa. They were used on some 57 on Fords with the same generation of King Seely gauges we used. Haven't tried one but the specs look good if it has the right thread. For $10-15 +/-, might be worth a try and see how it reads. Here is the Napa info.

The 50 and earlier were a different breed and I don't know if the sender from a 53 will work. Some were thermal type but used straight resistance, and some were thermal but used a bimetal open/close element at senders. Other years had magnetic gauges which I believe need a different resistance to the King Seeley.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.32 KB)
209_4d3b5fcf6ed94.jpg 766X380 px

Posted on: 2011/1/22 17:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'll have to get an adapter and use the old sender to be sure...thanks for the heads up!

PM if you want a used 53 one.

Posted on: 2011/1/22 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
went to NAPA today bought the Echlin TS6464 it was the same size as the one I took Out. Threads the same. The gauge, with normal running went up about 1/2 way. Just above the M .I don't know were it is suppose to be but as long as I know were normal is then I schould know if it gets hot.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 13:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the feedback. Unless we hear otherwise, can probably add that to xref. Did you figure out what was happening to your gas gauge.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 14:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
Tank sending unit arm was bent too far up. Used the Ford sending unit and had to bend arm down so that when I put it in the tank the arm would came up alittle just to get it in the tank. That make it work good. I took cover off the original sender and found out that the small spring type steel around back was broke.Does anyone know how to rebuild these.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
Tank sending unit arm was bent too far up. Used the Ford sending unit and had to bend arm down so that when I put it in the tank the arm would came up alittle just to get it in the tank. That make it work good. I took cover off the original sender and found out that the small spring type steel around back was broke.Does anyone know how to rebuild these.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Attached is a pic of the 1950 (larger one) temp sender and the 1953 temp sender.

Not to hijack a thread, but related 53 and 50 sender info and dilemma:

They both have a KS stamped on them, the 50 has a 9 stamped by the KS and a number on the other side, 224.

The 53 has a 3 stamped by the KS, and a number on the other side, 240.

I don't know what those numbers mean, but they may mean something to someone here.

At room temperature, the resistance between the screw post and the body on both was different, which would lead me to believe they're not compatible.

I normally would just put an adapter in the block and use the old sender, but even the part that sticks into the coolant to sense temp is too large to fit into the hole on the 53 head.

Has anyone tackled this before? I don't think i can just drill the head out to a larger size and tap it, because i believe these are tapered pipe threads and i don't believe i'll be able to find a tap this size around here.

Does anyone know the rating of the earlier sender? Perhaps i can find one the size and thread of the 53 but different rating so it will work with the 50 gauge.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.75 KB)
1420_4d3ca590634ff.jpg 1200X896 px

Posted on: 2011/1/23 17:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved