Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Pertronix - good price
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I also installed the #1183 in my 56 Patrician. Not that I wanted to, I enjoy changing points (every 10 years or so) because its an opportunity to properly maintain the distributor's internals and lubrication needs like the centrifugal advance pivots and breaker plate pivot. But doing so really demands the removal of the unit and that's a bit of a pain.

No noticeable differences with the changeover - same gas mileage, same fast starts, etc. Probably the only other advantage (if you view not doing points as an advantage) is that the timing will not slowly change over time as the rubbing block on the moveable point wears.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 12:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
I noticed after I installed the Pertronix, I had to retard the timing. Other than that, I see no difference in acceleration or any performance when the car is in motion. I only noticed the easier starts both when the engine is cold and when at operating temp.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
What did you set your timing to? I think it's normally 6.5 advanced (I'd have to check). Were you getting some pinging?

I'm not real experienced with this stuff, so I appreciate your insight here.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 7:37
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. So e-ignition it is. But why the pertronix instead of this one: (see page 3).

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3290&forum=12&post_id=40435#forumpost40435

Posted on: 2011/3/25 8:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
ok. So e-ignition it is. But why the pertronix instead of this one: (see page 3).

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3290&forum=12&post_id=40435#forumpost40435

The one in your link looks like it is for 12 volts (neg. gnd) only. That could be one reason.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 13:00
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Helmar is top-notch. I've purchased a handful of different Pertronix units from them for various vehicles and they've done a great job taking care of business. I've found them consistently lower priced than most so I don't even bother shopping around at this point.

I'll also rave about the Pertronix units themselves. I've installed them in several of our trucks over the years where they get a daily workout... not a single problem yet.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 13:08
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
I have to set my timing by ear. I do not have a pointer on my crank pulley. When I first installed the Pertronix, the timing was so advanced that the spark was fighting the pistons when trying to start. I then timed it by ear and it works flawlessly.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 20:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved