Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Generator Rebuilding
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Does anyone have any info on a good generator rebuilder for my '50 generator? Would like someone with good turn around and shipping time and that will check my voltage regulator to be sure it is ok and will work with this generator.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 14:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator Rebuilding
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Rebuilding the generator is an easy enough project. Max Merrit in Franklin, IN has the few parts you need (mostly just a bearing and bushing or 2 if I remember right). My Dad and I have rebuilt a few of them back in the day but it has been over 40 years since I've done one. I've got to do mine after the weather warms up enough to get under the hood.
Now the voltage regulator is something I'd like to know about myself. Someone has taken the one on my car partially apart so I'm guessing there was a problem with it. I'd be interested in someone with experience with those. Of course, the local alternator and starter shop may very well have an old-timer in there that will know just what to do and that would be the first place I'd try when I get back out on my cars. Just an idea, Gene

Posted on: 2011/2/5 15:11
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wish I could help but agree with Gene that there is not much you can't do yourself unless it's really worn and the commutator needs turning.

Trying a local old time shop first would be a good step but that's the catch. Old time established doesn't necessarily mean old time experienced. One long time electric shop here--almost an institution established in the 30's is now owned and run by people who barely know anything earlier than 1980--but at least they are upfront about it.

If you have a good mechanic you trust, he should be able to direct you.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Well i could do the bushing/bearing and two brushes which is what most people mean by a "rebuild".

I believe i have a short inside somewhere. So i'd want someone with experience to check that out, and to turn the commutator down on a lathe, rewind anything that's amiss, re-wrap the coils, etc, etc. I may have found a line on an old timer around here who does it, but he's an hour away and i can't find a phone number. Hate to trek all the way out there to find out he doesn't do it or not around anymore.

If i have to do it myself i found a good write up, but i'd rather pay for good experience.

My regulator is NOS, it says 6v pos or neg ground and i'd think it would work. But i don't know if the generator being shorted has hurt anything with it. I'm sure someone with experience would know right what to do to tell.

To me it's all just magic

Posted on: 2011/2/5 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
One thing I just remember that used to get us by real well is to take a piece of emery cloth and brush it over the armature like you're shining your shoes until you knock the dull off of it but just do it lightly!

By the way, I just found my Auto-lite Generator Regulator book on servicing the regulator. They have this on-line here available for download under the Packard Literature and Manuals link on the left side. Be prepared because it is a 11.3 MB PDF file but it is detailed with good pictures.

Gene

Posted on: 2011/2/5 16:03
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Hello Cortcomp

I had my generator and starter rebuilt by Mcknight near Pittsburg, PA. Did a real nice job and turn around was quick. On the other hand my daughter lived near there and deliveredc them to him and picked them up.

Hope that helps

Fred D

Posted on: 2011/2/5 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Most communities will have someone who knows generators.
A few years back, my wife and I were on a tour in Ohio. We were driving our '27 Pontiac (before we got a pre-war Packard) and we couldn't keep the battery charged. A fellow on the tour checked the generator and said we were not getting any voltage from it. Now you're probably not going to believe this, but in the small town of Columbus Grove, population of about 1200, a shop that specializes in turbochargers had a mechanic who just happened to own a '27 Pontiac! He rebuilt our generator (had the parts in his bin!) and had us on the road in less than an hour! Swear to God it's true! I've hot seen another '27 Pontiac since...

Posted on: 2011/2/6 7:51
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Denny Z gives good advice. In most areas there is usualy an excellent rebuilder available for various parts. FINDING OUT who and where they are is the problem!!!!

Recently i needed a clutch relined (just the lining) and one of the local daycare-generation X'er 20 something recommended Nashville Clutch and Brake. I never knew it was there despite having driven by it for years. GREAT place in every way!!

I do nearly all of my own rebuilding on starters and generators but alternators can present a problem due to prices/quality of internal regulators. I usualy take alternators to
Dickson Rebuilders 113 Sylvis st. Dickson Tn. 615-446-2284.

Well experienced long time business. Decent prices too thus far.

Get out and talk to some of the local 20-somethings that do their own work building those little 4 cylinder puddle jumpers that sound like a pissed off bumble bee.. They probably know of a place that is local to your area. More and more i'm depending on the Honda generation X'ers for good information on where to get things done and for other good local info too.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 9:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Thanks for the info. I'll drive out to the old timers place this week and see if he's still around. I just feel rude dropping in on someone without calling ahead.

Called another Packard owner who knew someone near Cleveland who did a great job (he has two 32 Packards, and like a 1913 if i recall, sold me my 50. Said it was too new for him.)

Asked him who did his generators.

"Oh yeah him! He does a fantastic job, great price. He died."

It scares me what's going to happen to this hobby in like 20-30 years. It's going to be me and some Honda rice rocket guys trying to fit a Packard eight into CRX. :-/

Posted on: 2011/2/6 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Used this source with good results to do some Owen-Dyneto generator rebuilding a few years ago:

Burton L Norton Co.

0-1845 West Leonard, Grand Rapids, MI 49534

PH: 616-677-1208

FAX: 616-677-1209

email: burtonlnorton@yahoo.com

Posted on: 2011/2/6 9:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved