Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

EDMUND ALUMINUM HEAD/PACKARD S8 info needed
Just popping in
Just popping in

avl1955
See User information
i recently bo't an EDMUNDS ALUMINUM HEAD at an estate sale..there was 2 '53 packard conv's in the garage...this head was on a work bench,still in what was left of the box it came in...executor said it had been in the same spot for 50 years..her brother became disabled in the early 60's and nothing had been touched since...haven't been able to find any info on it,other than info on Eddie Edmunds..the head is NOS,very nice overall condition...issues are...some minor oxidation spots and a paint drip on one of the fins between the 2nd and 3rd plug...i would like to enlist the the help of this community to find out rarity and value..hoping i didn't overpay...thanks in advance...

Attach file:

jpg  (272.00 KB)
3516_4d5c66504a49e.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/2/16 19:06
 Top  Print   

Re: EDMUND ALUMINUM HEAD/PACKARD S8 info needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You didn't overpay no matter what it cost you.

Eddie Edmunds' motto was "Modernize Your Motor". His hop up accessories were aimed at the ordinary motorist who wanted something a little better than the next guy, not the usual hot rod or racing crowd.

He made speed parts for a lot of cars no one else would touch , including Packard. It seems if he thought he could sell something he made a pattern and cast it. Often, sales must have been small.

Today Edmunds parts are quite rare, especially for anything outside the usual Ford flathead or Chevy 6. The parts are very much in demand.

What is more when old aluminum heads turn up they are usually worn out, damaged, warped, corroded and otherwise next to scrap.

To find an Edmunds Packard head in NOS condition is like finding the last egg of the Dodo bird. I wouldn't want to say it is the only one in captivity but I would hate to hang by my thumbs till another one turns up.

I would say, very conservatively, that head is worth from $1000 up to who knows what.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
By an odd coincidence, just yesterday someone posted a photo of an Edmunds 2 carb manifold for a straight eight Chrysler. It was on the Chrysler section of the AACA bulletin board.

Here is the thread. Scroll down for photos of the Edmunds intake. Maybe someone who knows how, will bring the photos over to this thread.

http://forums.aaca.org/f145/help-needed-intake-manifold-id-30s-298349.html

Posted on: 2011/2/16 20:49
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

avl1955
See User information
thanks for the info...thought this was for a Hudson when i bought it...not sure of it's furure plans...maybe wall art...thanks again...

Attach file:

jpg  (277.57 KB)
3516_4d5d6971c1f6d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/2/17 13:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Happy to oblige. Here is the 1952 Edmunds catalog featuring Packard "the car of luxury and fine beauty".

The price list shows your head cost $84.50, or 2 weeks' pay for a working man.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1952_EdmundsBrochure.pdf

Graph shows Edmunds equipment raises rear wheel horsepower from 105 to 141 @ 3000 RPM or a 30% improvement.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hello ,if you get tired of having the head on the wall and want to sell it my 52 200 would like to have me buy it for her for valentines day,

Posted on: 2013/2/3 1:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved