Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 227

BigKev, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Keegan's Replacement Fuel Tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
....and no reason it wouldn't work if the hose is of the right material to resist damage from gasoline.

This is the section, between the tank neck and the filler neck in the tail light,

I suppose the fact that the filler was in the tail light called for the flexible neck, to soften the vibrations that would be transmitted to a fragile part.

Good point on the Permatex, and good idea about soldering the joint instead of trying to seal it with a filler. Permatex #2 (non-hardening) is definitely removable with straight isopropyl alcohol... it's about the only way to get it off your hands! I'm not sure about #1 (hardening). It seems like almost nothing short of grinding takes it off. Gasoline will not remove it, nor will Stoddard solvent, and I'm wondering if the relatively low alcohol content of gasoline these days would pose a problem... but why risk it? Solder away.

Just for belt-and-suspenders, and to plug any possible pinholes, after soldering you could wipe one of those exotic adhesive/sealants on it. I'm not familiar with using those, so wouldn't know what to recommend.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 15:01
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...to plug any possible pinholes, after soldering you could wipe one of those exotic adhesive/sealants on it. I'm not familiar with using those, so wouldn't know what to recommend.

Properly done solder flows pretty pin-hole free. But can't think of a reason why one of the sealants you use on the inside of a tank wouldn't be suitable to use over the solder or over a weld on the outside.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 15:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As Owen has indicated, I'd feel better if any possible pinholes were tinned with tinners paste or soldered over with a coat.

For a modern sealer i've have excellent luck with something called Seal-All. Tube has a a red oval inscribed inside of it "Gas Oil". About $3.00 for a 4oz tube. I use it quite often for a variety of leak corrections on gas and oil. Real ez to use to. Available at the local Freds and Dollar General stores.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 15:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I wasn't suggesting to forego the soldering first. The thing with solder is, if it's not a pressure system (like water pipes) you can't fully test it. Anyone who has sweated a pipe joint knows that even after pressurizing the system, a leak can appea in a day or two, as even happens to plumbers sometimes on a tricky joint.

Belt and suspenders, I say!

Howdya like all this nifty unsolicited advice, Keegan?

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:02
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Couldn't get any more done over the weekend. Hopefully this week will allow some time.

I spoke with Spectra Premium. They are a huge manufacturer of fuel tanks. They told me that they attach filler necks, vent tubes and such with plain old 50-50 solder.

This may be a much faster and cheaper route than tig welding. I'll give it a try and see what I think.

Need to get a couple more items. Then an in-car fitting will be possible.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Prototype is almost complete. Have to cut a hole in top for the sending unit.

The fit is good. There will have to be some spacers on the top of the tank as the new tank isn't as tall as the original.

Maybe by this time next week, I'll have it all worked out.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.23 KB)
550_4d6d57b14090d.jpg 1600X956 px

jpg  (104.30 KB)
550_4d6d57e3779c0.jpg 1600X956 px

jpg  (112.55 KB)
550_4d6d57f493adc.jpg 1600X956 px

Posted on: 2011/3/1 15:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Keegan, I think you've really got something there! Glad you picked up the ball and ran with it!

Posted on: 2011/3/1 19:50
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm wondering what ever became of tis project. Like to know more about it.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 13:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
bump.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 10:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved